5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV...eventually, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Samsung UE32ES6300 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart 3D LED TV with Built-in Wi-Fi and Freeview HD (New for 2012) (Electronics)
I bought this TV from Amazon partly because of the reviews and partly after having viewed Samsung TVs in John Lewis. Picture quality is likely to be a matter of personal taste, but it seemed to me that the Samsung models had a clarity which was missing from the rivals like Panasonic and Sony. I didn't particularly want 3D, but was told that that level of detail was only achievable with a 3D TV, and of course you didn't have to watch in 3D if you didn't want to!

Amazon wasn't the cheapest at the time of ordering, but the sheer brilliance of the service combined with the no-fuss returns policy made it an easy choice. Since the time I bought mine I notice the price has fallen markedly, though it does seem to yo-yo a bit.

Time to mount it on the wall...it has to sit in the corner and the only way it can do this is with a cantilever arm bracket, and so I purchased one at the same time as the TV. Easy I thought, it's advertised as fitting *all* 32" TVs, including of course, Samsung. However, the ES6300 has a cunningly moulded back which ensures that no bracket (apart from Samsung's own) will actually fit: the screws are all either too long or too short, or the supports simply cannot be accommodated. After four tries I found one, but only after a visit to the local hardware shop for new screws/spacers etc. Sorted.

Next the set up of the TV, and this is where Amazon really came in handy. I found one of the most useful reviews on this site to be from Product Reviewer, who as well as providing lots of info in the review, was also extremely helpful in answering questions (cheers PR!) There are so many variables to choose from with the picture that you have to do a lot of experimenting. My first issue was with motion blur, most apparent in 3D where there was high contrast. I eventually found out how to set up the picture to counter this, but it took time. I then noticed that the picture appeared to be dropping a frame every few seconds or so. This was highly irritating and I couldn't find out the answer to this for while. The solution came with replacing the HDMI cable and making sure it was actually connected to the correct socket in the back of the TV. So, that problem is now sorted too.

So, after three weeks or so, we now have a TV with a quite stunning picture. Watching Game of Thrones - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free] on the blu-ray player (Samsung BD-E6100 3D Smart Blu-ray Player with Built-in Wi-Fi (New for 2012)) is an amazing experience, and at times it feels almost as though there's only a clear pane of glass between you and the action. Films with lesser production values than Game of Thrones can however reveal distractions such as poor artificial lighting - you can almost sense the lighting and camera crew surrounding the actors - so prepare for the unexpected! The age of the film doesn't always seem to be a factor; for instance, the newly released Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [4 Disc Set] box set is quite incredible and looks like it was made yesterday.

A possibly unexpected feature of the Samsung is the quality of the sound. I was all prepared to hook the TV up to the existing sound system we have, but actually, in our case at least, doing that would have been to downgrade the listening experience. This TV has a crisp and detailed yet full sound quality, but it's possible to refine it further using the menu, for instance in highlighting speech or music. If you've ever struggled in the past to hear the dialogue in a film, then this TV will definitely be the one for you.

Having said earlier that I wasn't really interested in 3D, i soon changed my mind once I'd seen a few movies. In a word, it's sensational. Just try Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Blu-ray 3D + 2D Blu-ray)[Region Free]: watching this in a darkened room is a marvel, and the water sequences in particular are spectacular. Once again, the correct settings are important in order to enjoy the film at its best (these are laid out in full by other reviewers on this forum).

The fact that you can use a web browser though the Smart TV is probably only going to be of any use if you also download the Samsung Remote iPhone app; you can then use the phone (or in theory iPad, though at the time of writing this doesn't seem to be working) as a keypad. Trying to use the browser with the supplied remote control is frustratingly slow.

Of the apps, the ones we've ended up using most are iPlayer, LoveFilm and YouTube. They look fantastic and work beautifully - once you've installed the firmware - I had a few problems here, and have to say a big thank you to Product Reviewer for finding the answer as to how to download the firmware online (please see PR's Comment section).

I've been amazed by the quality of the picture on iPlayer and LoveFilm in particular; even though our broadband speed is nothing to write home about we don't seem to encounter any buffering issues on the TV. Other reviewers have raised the point about the proximity of your home hub to the television and how this can affect the streaming quality (in particular please see honeythief's excellent piece on this), so if your hub is more than five metres away then it seems like you might hit problems.

As seems normal with these apps, access is more limited than on a computer; so for instance on LoveFilm you don't have the degree of Watch Now choice as you would have on your PC or Mac. On IPlayer it's the same, it's more restricted.

Anyway, if you set this TV up correctly then you're in for a treat. I'm not technically-minded and it's been a challenge, but as I say, I've found this forum to be very useful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 42 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 20:59:00 BDT
hey

sadly have to sign up using facebook not keen on that idea .but only just seen this on amazon the Samsung UE50ES6710 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D Smart TV with Built-in Wi-Fi and 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses - White (New for 2012) telly looks like the one I wanna go for but here is the big BUT ... Product Description is for ES6710 SMART 3D TV .so I don't want to read buy this tv and have hopes that it does this or that and find out it does something totally different from the tv I have

tell you the truth all I want is a led or LCD 50-55inch tv with about 400hz + I don't care for smart or 3d as with smart the iPad xbox/ps3 does all that already after a long hard day working I wanna chill out on a nice big screen tv and play a few games .

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 10:09:13 BDT
JB says:
Yes, I've got Xbox and it seems to work really well; we watched iPlayer via the Xbox before the Samsung app appeared, as well as LoveFilm and it was excellent. The games are brilliant because the resolution is so sharp and almost crystal-clear.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 10:10:17 BDT
JB says:
They've been useful, thanks for pointing the site out.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 11:22:39 BDT
Hey jean

Thank you so much for your help .lol wonder what it was like buying a tv with out the internet to ask others

I'm really sold on the Samsung 50inches 400hz but the only thing putting me off is the endless tuning that sounds like alot of people are moaning about

and by any change does your tv record by using a usb Hard Drive and if so .what's it like to record with

Thanks again
Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 12:20:59 BDT
Hey jean.

some comments from people are saying that they find the apps on the tv painfully slow .how are you finding using the apps

and have you checked out the 3d yet it is mind blowing amazing or

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 12:45:39 BDT
does any one know what is the best usb HDD to use on UE50ES6710 50inch 400hz samsung smart tv

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 09:14:38 BDT
Grey'um says:
Quote, "I didn't really want 3D, but was told that that level of detail was only achievable with a 3D TV!"

Did you really believe that?! Any "clarity" that you can notice is purely a result of the quality of the panel itself, not the fact that it also happens to handle 3D... Just goes to show the muppets that walk around sales floors these days.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 09:32:06 BDT
JB says:
Yes, I did believe it. Perhaps I misunderstood the assistant, but in essence he seemed to be saying that the 3D TVs simply had a clearer picture, but I guess this could have been for a number of reasons.

Anyway, I'm more prepared to trust Amazon reviewers than I am sales assistants (which is why I bought this TV!)

Cheers -

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2012 23:30:33 BDT
G. Harrison says:
Hi Jean,

My TV is suffering with the frame rate drop. You mentioned plugging in the HDMI cable in the correct socket which socket should it be in??

Thanks,
Gavin

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 10:39:00 BDT
Hi Gavin

I would tell you, but the cables to the DVD and Xbox are wound up in a plastic covering which keeps them together, and without unravelling the whole thing I can't tell which is which.

The best advice I can offer is to try the DVD cable in the *other* HDMI socket in the TV. If that doesn't work then replace the cable itself, as I think the quality of the cable is important.

Either one of these two cured it for me, but I'm sorry I can't be more specific(!)

Cheers