3.0 out of 5 stars Setup far from smooth, 3 July 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop) (Personal Computers)
I'm giving this a three chiefly because of the frustrating setup. 'no configuration' it isn't. 'Push a couple of buttons and you are done', nope. Took two hours. However, once up and running it seems to work pretty well.

So what happened? There are two sets of 'quick installation' instructions with the kit, which is a little confusing. Spending some time, it became clear that one set was only about setting up a wired connection, the other for wired and wireless. The whole point for me was to extend the wireless network, so I took that one, but not after first doing the other one. I plugged the small adaptor into the wall socket near the router, plugged the ethernet cable between the two, went upstairs and plugged the larger (wi-fi extender) box into a socket upstairs. I got the impression that it would pair up automatically, and perhaps it would, but in fact I did the 2-second button press on both anyway, and they paired just fine. So far, a five star effort.

Next, read the other quick installation guide, where it says to plug the wi-fi extender close to the wi-fi router, press the WPS button on the router for 2 seconds, then the button on the front of the extender (not the little pairing button underneath) for 2 seconds, and watch the pretty lights. I watched the demo on youtube, but it never did what the youtube video showed, the lights just never did that, it did the fast flashing straight away, not slow flashing for twenty seconds, then a little fandango and finally fast flashing. I tried this multiple times, and also did the reset (little hole underneath) and tried again. Nothing. It always showed as a separate wi-fi network called 'TP-Link...', which I couldn't log into. It definitely wasn't copying the SSID and password from the router.

Check the PDF manual online. You don't get this manual with the device, nor a reference to it, I think. You do get a cd-rom, but it is one of the mini ones that only work with tray-loading dvd drives, so useless. OK, so I learn that the extender has a web interface. It says if you are connected wirelessly you can go to http://tplinkplclogin.net but I couldn't connect via wireless. I plugged in my Macbook Pro over ethernet, but that address didn't work. I noted that it gave me an IP address of 192.168.1.67 so I tried entering 192.168.1.1 in the browser, and got a password dialog. Entered 'admin' for both and got in. In there, I set the SSID and password manually to match my router, rebooted, and no it worked!

Now it is up I like it, but I can imagine a lot of people getting very frustrated setting it up.

UPDATE: I was finding that although my Macbook pro and all the iPads could connect easily to the router as before, my iPhone would not even see the network, but if I took it upstairs would connect happily to the extender. Also, the Mac upstairs (which is more or less equidistant between the router and the extender) would keep dropping its connection. A family member's Dell would not see the network at all and had to use ethernet. This was with them sharing SSID and channel to make a seamless wifi zone. So I made the channels different, channel 1 on the extender and channel 11 on the router itself (still sharing same SSID and password), and now it all works fine, everything can connect everywhere. I searched on the web for info about channel settings, but it was ambiguous.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jul 2014 21:33:52 BDT
redboy says:
Hi, I've just bought this kit but I'm not sure how to set it up. Ive done the wps thing which I think has worked. I had a look on the extenders settings and the ssid has changed to the same as my router but I'm not sure where to look to see if the password has changed.
Also how do you know if your connected to the extender?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2014 22:49:15 BDT
Hi. So you have connected the adaptor to your router via ethernet cable, plugged it in, and plugged in the extender somewhere else? For me, it was obvious, because I couldn't get a signal upstairs in some rooms, and now a get a strong signal. If the WPS has copied the password and SSID, you won't see a difference, it will look like you are connected directly to your router. Some routers give a display of what devices are connected and how (over ethernet, over 5GHz and over 2.4GHz wireless). If your device is connecting via the extender it will show as being connected to the router via ethernet. You can connect to the extender by going to http://192.168.1.1, initial login is admin/admin, which you can change on logging in. So the admin password for the extender is not the same as the admin password for the router itself (and you probably want to change it).

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2014 19:43:31 BDT
Dancing Bob says:
Thanks to your advice in your main review, I managed to access the TP-Link setup and fiddle about until I got a solution which works for me. In the end I had to disable the seamless cloning, as my Epson printer seemed confused and could not hold a wifi connection if the extender was enabled, even when set to a different wifi channel to the main router. Not ideal, but the best compromise for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2014 01:33:12 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Aug 2014 01:36:44 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2014 01:37:04 BDT
teejay says:
Hi I found your post helpful but I am still confused. Not very IT techy. The room where I am trying to set this up has a very poor signal as we live in a house with very thick old walls. When I go to connect wirelessly, it shows me my existing named network and also a TP network . When I try to connect to the TP network it asks for a password and nothing I try allows me to join. Close to throwing out of window! My version is older than yours but still brand new, we have only just tried to connect it now. Any thoughts would be very welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2014 01:37:37 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Aug 2014 01:37:47 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2014 09:39:08 BDT
Dancing Bob says:
Hi. My sympathies! Try plugging the wifi extender in near to your existing wireless router, then following the steps I outlined in my own review (Dancing Bob). I found that if I did anything in the wrong order it didn't work. You can then move the wifi extender to where you want it. Alternatively, follow Ap's advice on connecting to it via the web browser on your PC. Login as admin, password admin, and use the menu options to edit the SSID (ie the name your devices will see) and password. You can use the same SSID and password as your current router, or, as I did, use a different SSID. Once all my iThings were told the new SSID and password, they seemed happy to swap between both wifi services as I wandered around the house. Recommend changing the admin password too, for security.
Hope this helps.

Posted on 4 Dec 2014 12:01:15 GMT
snakelimit says:
Hi did you make available WRS in virgin hub? Mayby was disabled and thats why dint connect with hub.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2014 19:00:13 GMT
I don't have a virgin hub. My hub has a WPS button which is what the instructions say is all that is required for the copying of setup. The light came on saying it was on, but pressing the button on the extender did not copy the setup, as said above.

Posted on 3 Jan 2015 13:33:26 GMT
Matt says:
I had exactly the same problem with it. Gave up the other night because I couldn't work it out and the various different methods seem contradictory. I came back to it this morning and after another hour wrestling with it I finally got it working. Don't really see the point of the non-wifi pass through plug though. I have it plugged in with a cable from the router going into it just in case, though!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›