5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 10 April 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - Version 2.0 (Personal Computers)
I have set this up as both a extension to my sky wireless network and as a direct connection for my Sky+ HD box so i can get Anytime+. If there is a downside it took a while to configure and it does require an element of networking knowledge. I set the unit in Universal Repeater mode. These are the settings:

Sky Router
Reserved address for TP-Link: 192.168.0.254

TP-Link
IP address: 192.168.0.254
Wireless: set to Universal Repeater
Wireless Security: set to WPA-PSK with automatic encryption (same as Sky Router)
PSK Password: Network Key of Sky Router

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 May 2011 15:41:24 BDT
fophyuk says:
Wow this is exactly the info I was looking for. I want to set-up our Sky anytime+ but don't want to have to pay the Sky man to do it and then end up having 6ft of cable across my front room. Seriously though, could I do it myself by reading the manual? I know a bit about computers but I am by no means technical but understand terminology and know where to find most things.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jun 2011 09:12:04 BDT
Simski6 - thanks for the info. A couple of points I picked up too -

Log on to sky router admin page - 192.168.0.1 (admin / sky) then go to setup & wireless setup. Pick a channel rather than leave on auto. Under security options change to WPA2-PSK (AES) more secure than WPA-PSK.

Change settings on TP-Link to match. On auto channel, my TP-Link device was cycling channels every few seconds, causing constant drop out.

One other thing for any techies out there, do not enable DHCP on TP-Link if using as a repeater, as connected devices then pick up IP address from Sky router.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2011 17:20:38 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Jul 2011 10:16:36 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2011 12:31:50 BDT
Hi Norman. Sent you an email. Let me know how you get on.

Regards. Abbas

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2011 10:24:19 BDT
Will do Abbas thanks for your very helpful settings info will get back to you. Thanks again ABBAS
REGARDS
Norman

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2011 22:06:19 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Jul 2011 07:33:24 BDT]

Posted on 22 Jul 2011 11:02:15 BDT
Sp Flaherty says:
I just cant this think to work right as a repeater with a SKY Netgear Router!!!
- I've changed the TP link to 192.168.0.254
- I've replicated the security
- I can connect to the TP link router setup page over WIFI via the SKY Router
- I can connect devices to TP Link (which is working in terms of replicating the SSID)
- However when I connect a device to the TP Link I get the yellow exclamation and the "No Internet access" message
- I've tried it with DHCP on and off. No difference
- I can see the devices connected to the SKY router albeit with names unknown

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 11:26:50 BDT
Sp, when set up correctly as a repeater, the devices you connect look as if they're connecting to the sky router. You should notice that the range & signal strength of your sky router have increased & you should be able to connect from locations that have previously had poor signal strength.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 13:23:23 BDT
Sp Flaherty says:
Yes that's what's happning (SSID forwarding is working OK). I can move around the house with my Iphone & see the signal strength indicator drop and then increase as it seamlessly switches from SKY to the TP Link. I can also see the IP address addresses change when the connection changes. Unfortunately when the connection switches to the TP-Link from the SKY router the internet connection stops (stays connected). The PC connects too but the limited / no internet connection warning is displayed against the connection. I can also view the active connections and MAC IDs on both the SKY & TP Link router setup pages (actually viewing the TP Link setup pages over the wireless link to the sky router). Its almost as if it's not passing on the packets correctly. I've just set the TP link up as an AP wired into one of the ports on the SKY router, changed the channel and it works fine. However, this doesn't help in terms of extending the WIFI range wirelessly (unless I use home plugs)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 14:29:47 BDT
Have you set the channel to a fixed channel on your sky router? (Had a similar issue, that was fixed by setting a fixed channel, rather than auto channel, which then seems to cycle connections on the TP-Link. Also, have you tried loading latest firmware from TP-Link website?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›