5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Jarrett - poor show ECM., 1 Sep 2009
This review is from: Paris / London - Testament (Audio CD)
Well of course I haven't heard the CD yet. (as I write on 1st September 09) But I was at the London show. It was quite a remarkable concert by any standard. I remember coming away with the initial feeling that the show seemed to be a mixture of Tokyo Solo and Live at the Carnegie Hall recordings - yet was more developed and more beautiful than any recordings I have heard since Paris Concert. The encores (5 of them) contained many favourites - My Song, Paint My Heart Red, Blues, and were much more rewarding in my opinion than the Carnegie Hall recording versions. The two sets (which were also like the Carnegie Hall / Tokyo recordings in style) were that much more developed, direct, assured yet charged with creative energy and danger, and at times astonishingly beautiful - the often long pauses after the last note played was a testament to the state of grace that had been achieved and the shock that the audience was feeling at being witness to such heights of improvised perfection.

I've read many posts since the show from people praying that the London show would be released on CD. I think we all knew it was something really special ( I have seen quite a few KJ shows in my time).

It will be especially interesting to compare the Paris / London performances. Paris has a history of bringing out the best in Jarrett (Paris Concert - probably my favourite of all KJ solo improvisations).

I have a feeling this release will become a new favourite.

What could possibly top this release? (Hamburg solo '82 - hear the amazing bootlegs on youtube - come on ECM, get a move on with the solo concert releases).

I am just ecstatic that this show will be released on CD. It was amazing. We should all encourage it. Snap it up. Show ECM we have a big appetite for such releases. (hundreds more gathering dust on tape)

Mine is on order.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Sep 2009 23:04:27 BDT
degrant says:
I was there too and it was one of the greatest musical experiences I have witnessed. Even the prolonged encore routine added to the sense of occasion.

I am not sure it is ECM who should be criticised for nor releasing a recording 27 years ago. Although I cannot comment on the circumstances of Hamburg, at London it was Jarrett who recorded the show for his own purposes and he who presumably sanctions any release under his name

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2009 00:03:37 BDT
zargb5 says:
I have read very high praise for these shows and look forward to hearing them. I too think that "Paris concert" is my favourite of his solo recordings. Thank you for the excellent review of the London concert.

Posted on 3 Oct 2009 10:55:12 BDT
D. Eves says:
What a pointless review. At least wait until the album is out a few hours before jumping in or else it will appear to some that the underlying message is 'I was there, were you?'. I look forward to the album coming out in the next few days and will write a report if the urge takes me but it will be based on the music and not about me. There are plenty of live albums already available by Jarrett so I don't blame ECM for being selective.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2009 14:18:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Oct 2009 14:23:55 BDT
Vapallia says:
What part is pointless?
I wrote specifically about the music. Being there just happens to be a very concentrated experience - and since the CD will be the exact show untouched, I am in fact reviewing the CD (at least the London stint). And many loyal fans (like me) were eager to hear about the CD as soon as is humanly possible so that they know what to expect. (same as all CD reviews) Plus I was ecstatic that the show (which was fantastic) was to be released, which meant a review of the music would be appropriate (I have a good memory - I concentrate).

I suggest you write a review of the CD rather than pointless negative comments against other reviewers. What a pointless person you are!

Perhaps you're just jealous that you missed one of Jarrett's finest.

With regard to ECM output. According to them, less than 5% of recorded solo concerts by KJ are currently released. I think this is rather poor in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2009 17:49:26 GMT
D. Eves says:
OK, no need to be personal! My point was that there didn't seem much to be gained from reviewing an album that you had yet to listen. Being there and capturing that moment of being there on record are very different and ECM do have a history of turning what might have been memorable concerts into something rather sterile on record though less so for Jarrett. So yes I would have liked to have been there and I'm pleased it was such an event. However you were meant to be reviewing an album of a concert and not the concert.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2014 14:23:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jan 2014 14:26:04 GMT
Mr. D. Bain says:
I agree absolutely with D. Eves. I don't think his comments were personal. CD recordings do not always accurately reflect the actual concert experience that they set out to capture. As to having a good memory, unless you are a musical mnemonist you will have forgotten most of the concert by the time you left the concert hall. What you will remember is the overall listening experience. So no, you were not effectively reviewing the CD as you claim. What you were reviewing (and you did it very well) was your personal view of the concert that you attended.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (10 customer reviews)

Reviewer