10,192 of 10,432 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning little device, 2 Sep 2010
Length:: 9:59 Mins

I decided that most of the features of the Kindle are fairly hard to comprehend without seeing them so I decided to create my first video review.

I have tried to cover most of the Kindle's features, like Speech to Text, music, books (of course!), web browsing, notes, pdf's and I have compared it to my Sony PRS-505. Which is not as big a difference as you might expect.

*Please note that I didn't cover newspapers and periodicals on the Kindle in this review as I like those in paper form and don't use the device for this. I browse papers heavily and like to skim back and forth and the Kindle is not ideal for this. I think that is why people might be saying the review is not helpful. I think I covered everything else though!

Overall I adore the Kindle, I am very happy with it and if you'd like to see why please feel free to watch! If you own an e-reader already this may help you decide whether the upgrade is worth it or if you are new to them you can see what the Kindle uniquely offers! Thanks for watching!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 672 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2010 01:11:00 BDT
SoftDog says:
Hey Mark,

I agree. If you are not buying books directly from the device there is no real reason to upgrade. I was also surprised how similar they are and the Sony body is also metal whereas the Kindle body is plastic. Battery life is very similar too. Glad the review was of help!

Posted on 4 Sep 2010 09:41:47 BDT
Cool review mate, very professional. Respect the time you put into it - I sort of went for a freestyle approach with mine :) Once you start editing the time to produce it starts multiplying so was decent of you to make that effort as it's clearly appreciated.

Don't know why more people don't do video reviews, perhaps it's the British reserve. Or why Amazon doesn't make an exception for file size given that it's helping to shift their own product. Nice job though.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2010 10:33:30 BDT
M. Summerson says:
I agree Mark, I wouldn't replace the 505 with the kindle, but having broken the screen I couldn't justify the 199 for the PRS650 that comes out later this month. was quite tempted to get a 505 second hand on eBay before I finally made my mind up.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2010 10:51:57 BDT
SoftDog says:
Thanks Julian, nice of you to say! I watched your review as well and thought it was very pro and fluid. I thought ours were quite complimentary to each other! I mostly did the edited version so that I didn't have to appear in it. It probably is that British reserve! It did add a huge amount of time to the production though!

As the Kindle is the number one best selling product you will probably start to get recognised in the street soon!

I agree on the size limit. This was the best res I could get. It is frustrating. I shot in 1080p on purpose to make it easy to watch and then had to compress it to death to get it up here. I also wonder what people are finding unhelpful about our reviews..... I think we covered most of the stuff between us! Maybe it is the quality of image on mine. Not sure!

Posted on 4 Sep 2010 10:53:21 BDT
I watch the review after purchasing the Kindle and it was so informative. Great stuff!

Posted on 4 Sep 2010 18:55:23 BDT
mines on order i used to read a lot but over recent years found myself reading less and less
mainly due to two things my eyesight and energy saving light bulbs
it might be a good idea to develop a kindle card simalar to an itunes voucher
so relatives can buy one at christmas n birthdays instead of socks and deoderant :)

Posted on 4 Sep 2010 20:24:46 BDT
Jim 8888 says:
First video review I have looked at on Amazon and I was very impressed! Well done. It answered questions I didn't even know I had!

Posted on 4 Sep 2010 21:44:58 BDT
A. Wilson says:
That just sold it for me.

I have worked in the domestic electronics market for over 30 years and what I have seen repeatedly is that for any new revolutionary electronics product there is always a tipping point when this device becomes hugely successful, and that is when the price reduces to the point at which the product "breaks out" from being owned only by the early adopters to becoming popular by the general puplic at large and I believe the Kindle has now reached that position - the length of the waiting list for ordering it confirm that.

As a bibliophile it hurts me to say this, but I believe the end of printed books are in sight, though I will still keep my art books, Kindle can't reproduce that experience, at least not yet

Posted on 5 Sep 2010 12:42:56 BDT
Very good review of what I suspect will be a great success for Amazon... My Kindle in 'en route' and expected tomorrow, can't wait get get using.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2010 13:01:18 BDT
Yeah, I get the feeling there's some strategic voting going on - people want a top 3 Kindle review for their reviewer rank. Oh well, as long as it helps some people I'm good with that :)

Review Details