168 of 169 people found the following review helpful
Fab battery life GPS,
This review is from: TomTom Urban Rider Europe (Electronics)
Took this round Germany in September, straight out of the box. Previous GPS was a TT Mobile5 on a Nokia phone. Just love the glove friendly screen. What's to like?
- post code address finder works
- options for non-motorway and "winding" roads (this is for bikers) and boy did I have fun in Germany in the Eifl mountains
- quick to recalculate if you go off route ie miss a turn
- clear loud voice
- easy bluetooth link into my Intaride (like Autocom) unit. Don't bother with the optional headset they are not waterproof according to a friend.
- links to my phone as well works with music-player.
- Screen is bright in sunlight and the 4x3 size is plenty big enough. Don't be impressed by Garmin's wide screen, it takes up too much room on the bars.
- battery life is 6-7 hours which is impressive (but seen annoying recharge below)
- smooth and accurate cursor.
- lane guide is superb
- IQ map updates are good idea and camera updates. I do mine monthly
- PC link is good, but I have yet to work out desktop route planning and downloading with Tyre.
- Menus are plentiful and you can customise the bits you want to use regularly from the map screen when you touch the "glove" symbol. Nice tricks are route recorder and trip speeds, max speed, av speed, total distance.
Not to like:
- being ripped off £40+ extra for the charger mount for the bike. DONT BOTHER. See battery life above. Instead I bought a £5 mini USB car charger and stopped for a coffee and left it charging on the bike, locked in the storage box. You can even stick it in the tank bag and just follow the voice instructions whicle it charges up - not bad out of town but a bit tricky in the back streets!
- TomTom do sell a lead for £7 - this only connect the bike to the charger mount, but their sales information is misleading (no pun) as this does not fit the TT Urban rider.
- so you can't charge the TT Urban Rider with a normal lead when its mounted on the standard mount.
TT Urban Rider has to be the best value and performance. I spent a lot of time comparing units and features, and this is the kit that does what it says. and but for the charger cable I'd give it 5*