5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Region B-playable Blu-ray, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Tokyo Gore Police [Blu-ray] [2008] [US Import] (Blu-ray)
As I have TGP on the 2-disc Collector's Edition, I was interested in trying the Blu-ray. After a bit of research I found that the US Blu-ray is listed as Region A, but it is also Region B compatible, so I took a chance and ordered it - from All Your Music in the States - and after a quick delivery time of nine days (for trans-Atlantic post: ordered 29th Nov, delivered 8th Dec), I've just tried the disc out on my UK-bought Playstation 3 - no problems!

One interesting thing, which was a bit of a shock, was the English dub - this is not on the DVD, and differs from the translation subtitles from the DVD, which may annoy some. When I get time this will be an interesting watch...!

Picture quality. Well, after checking a few scenes, it's an improvement - in places; almost too much as the prosthetics are a bit obvious at times. Maybe because I sit closer to my monitor (PC/PS3 plugged in) than I do to my TV, I noticed some instances of not-entirely-HD-quality, but that may also just be the film and it's low budget origins. For example, some shots of the Crocodile Girl are soft focus and others are pin-sharp, but her attack/posing are pretty much sharper than the DVD.

The extras disc is a DVD - probably Region 1 (from hints thrown up in my research), I haven't tried it - but it only contains the short insert films/adverts from the film, which for some reason are not on the Blu-ray. Odd, as a Blu-ray has quite a bit of space available...!

So, to sum up. If you want TGP on Blu-ray and have been put off by Region A notices, fear not. Mine is UK-compatible, so yours almost certainly will be. Go on, get yourself your very own Crocodile Girl for Christmas!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Feb 2013 13:05:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Feb 2013 14:03:32 GMT
John Malcolm says:
Just a follow-up to my review. It's been four months since I acquired my very own crocodile girl pet, although she's now part of the family and a pet no longer. Her name is Sumi and we got her through the Tokyo Crocodile Girl Association, who were very helpful and put us in touch with their international division, which made sure she was trained in English, and also made sure she was a genuine clone of the original and sorted out the importing of her for us.

When Sumi arrived she was a bit groggy from the trip, but soon settled down. She had received subconscious training in Tokyo and so didn't attack us on sight. She was more like a visitor from overseas, who spoke our language but didn't understand our ways. She was intelligent, though, and learned very quickly. Apart from her modified parts she's surprisingly human - well, she has got a human brain, it's only other factors that make her `different' - and soon was helping around the home and making intelligent conversation. Her lack of legs is an on-going problem, and we tried various solutions to help her become more mobile; with varying levels of success. She's been in a modified pram, which was a good trick as it was a motorised set up so she could get about - and scare the whatnot out of people who peeked in with `oh what a lovely baby arrgghh!' She's also had various wheelchairs, some motorised, and the sight of her charging down the road at speed, laughing insanely, with her crocodile mouth gaping wide open is something I will never forget! Still, with her mobility (mostly) solved, she occasionally goes off to the shop, or we go out for a meal, and all is fine. She's a model of civilised behaviour.

A word about her modifications. These fall into three categories:- eyes, chest and crocodile mouth. First, her eyes. Yes, they are pitch black, but I just treat them as slightly larger brown eyes and got used to them very quickly. Second, her chest. Yes, she has got mouth-like openings on her breast instead of nipples, but the teeth she has are soft, like leather, and more sort of caress you rather than bite you. She has them under conscious control and is - in my case - very gentle with them. Finally, her crocodile mouth. Once trained not to bite and chew people - mainly done before I took delivery of her - she is fine. She can't actually eat with it (she takes nourishment in the normal human way), she just chews up and spits out the bits. Yes her teeth are quite sharp and her big jaw muscles are very powerful, but she has developed some very fine and delicate control. I've seen her carry an egg across a room, and also unscrew a jar lid - with me holding the jar - without damage. Yes, she does have this occasional desire to go out and attack someone, and so we in our local community have turned this to our advantage. She - her job, if you like - protects us from undesirables, and enforces punishment if they go too far - which hasn't happened twice, let me tell you! Word soon got around, and our crime rate is now nearly zero, and she is being hired out to other local areas - which she loves as it get her out and meeting new people, and also keeps her fit.

She reads extensively, writes short stories - is planning and drafting her first novel as I write this - and is a fantastic wife. Yes, I've married Sumi - she's human enough, according to local laws - and we're expecting our first new arrival in the late summer. She's helping with deliveries in the local supermarket to get a of bit extra cash - babies aren't cheap - and also so we can have a short holiday before our lives are irrevocably turned upside down. Basically, she's my foreign bride and we love each other very much. Apparently one bonus thing is that she has now bonded with me for life, and trusts me totally -it's a trait they all share we've been told, which she likes and is very proud of. She's sweet, funny, intelligent, beautiful, loving, cultured, charming and VERY protective - what more could a man want in a wife?

Score 10/10