5.0 out of 5 stars It is pleasantly loud and can be heard upstairs, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Logitech Z205 Laptop Speaker - Black (Accessory)
I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB1ZOE which cost a fair whack of money but infuriatingly has the most disappointing of built-in stereo speakers (the issue of why laptop manufacturers do such a lousy job with their speakers isn't for discussing right now...).

I like to listen to music whilst tapping away online but couldn't stand the tinny strains and so have been scouring the reviews here on Amazon.

I liked the look of the Logitech Z205 speaker and saw this as a potential solution but the reviews are mixed and I find it hard to ignore those who give negative feedback. I decided to take a risk as it's easy enough to make a return.

The speaker is small - about the width of a TV remote control and maybe two/thirds of the length. It has a spring clip (quite like a womans hair grip) which allows it to sit snugly along the top of my laptop screen without obscuring the built-in webcam or the screen itself. It connects to a USB socket via a short 2ft cable.

The volume can be controlled in two ways - via buttons on top of the unit or by using your Ctrl and F3/F4 keys and an on-screen icon appears which shows you how quiet/loud you have it adjusted to.

For normal volume levels, I have it at four bars (of 20) and this is loud enough for all purposes such as listening to music and watching videos online etc.

For when a particularly good track starts playing (a bit of Timbaland maybe...) you can quickly max the volume and it is pleasantly loud, indeed, it can be heard upstairs. I can't imagine a situation in normal domestic use where you would possibly need for it to be any louder than this.

I'm not an audiophile, but the quality of the sound is superb with enough bass and range of tone (at least, enough for my preferences). The downloaded software allows you to make adjustments for enhancements so you can tinker away until you get closer to your own preferences.

I'm really pleased with this little speaker, so much so that if I broke it by accident, I would buy this same unit again.

On that basis, I'd recommend it to family and friends and so I offer my recommendation to you, dear reader :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Aug 2012 06:58:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2012 06:59:48 BDT
Readalot says:
Brilliant very detailed discription of dimentions, pros and cons, sound quality and volume etc.
One of the most helpful I've ever read. How it fits on the laptop and size comparison brought it to life!
I feel I know exactly what it's like and whether this is what I'm looking for.
Thank you for an excellent review dear writer. You went to a lot of trouble reviewing this so well and it is much appreciated and most helpful.
Best wishes
Sue

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 21:50:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2012 21:50:49 BDT
Thanks for your kind words Sue. I always check the reviews on Amazon before buying anything and so it's a pleasure to return the favour.

Posted on 19 Oct 2012 16:44:59 BDT
martyngs says:
Logitech Z205 Laptop Speaker - Black
Hi, I'm looking for laptop speakers and these look v good. Do you find they flatten the computer's battery very quickly? Or do you only use them when the laptop is plugged in to the mains electricity supply?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2012 19:12:18 BDT
Good question! My Sony battery life has never been good so I only ever use it plugged into the mains. On that basis I'm not much use to you, sorry.

Posted on 10 Oct 2013 19:47:11 BDT
Dazza says:
I just paid £500 for a brand new sony vaio and the laptop speakers built in are terrible! Shocking.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2013 19:48:33 BDT
Dazza says:
My Sony battery says it can last about 4hrs, but it only seems to last about 90mins max.. doing simple things!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›