5.0 out of 5 stars still my favourite rush album, 24 years after first hearing it, 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: Signals (Audio CD)
I still **** my pants every time I listen to this album, I really think it's that good. I remember listening to Countdown when it was in the charts (yes it was people!), this being the first song I had ever heard by the band - I was mesmerised by the lyrics, and story telling of the song, and the way the song just builds and builds, carrying me with it. When I heard the album 5 years later, I had just found out Rush were a 3 piece and was amazed that 3 people could produce such a big sound.

Subdivisions still ranks as one of my favoutite Rush tracks, showcasing Neil Peart's drumming in particular (especially in the closing bars of the song).

As a bass player, I reveled in learing how ton play the bass part in Analog Kid - from the start, this is a tour de force for both bass and guitar. I cannot understand why people complain about the guitars on this album - the solo on Analog Kid is one of Lifeson's best ever, and even now I can hear the passion and rawness of that solo that would leave many guitarist's going back to the drawing board.

Chemistry has Lee, Lifeson and Peart on an equall footing, but, again, I have to say, listen to Lifeson's guitar in this - the playing is full of emotion.

Digital Man - listen to this, then listen to The Police's Walking On The Moon, and you can tell who and what Rush were listening too at the time (I love the police too, and Peart could have done much worse than study the playing of Stewart Copeland...but anyway, this isn't a Police review).

The Weapon starts with an evil disco drum and synth part, and has some of the darkest lyrics Neil Peart has ever written...which might have indicated his mood at the time, I don't know. There are many layers too this song, and you really feel (again) like you are being taken on a music journey...left hanging (until The Enemy Within finishes of the Fear trilogy on Grace Under Pressure, the next album - another must have).

New World Man is not my favourite on the album, but is still a well crafted song with Lee, Lifeson and Peart contributing in equal measure...the upside of this track are the lyrics, which are thought provoking.

Losing It...the one and only Rush track to feature a (wonderful) violin solo - joind by Lifeson at the end. This song still has the ability to make me feel sad and reflective, and when you read the lyrics you are transported into three different stories of 3 people 'losing it'...the end of this song will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

...and back to Countdown again...the Columbia maiden voyage set to a Rush soundtrack, and the first Rush song I heard, when I thought they were a 4 piece band.

Really...whether you like Rush, or are just looking out of curiosity, this album has the capacity to stay with you through your life, and still have the same powerful effect each time you listen to it.

There's your recommendation :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]