1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Rushed Full of Errors, 28 April 2013
This review is from: Best Kept Secret (Clifton Chronicles Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Huge disapointment after waiting eagerly having loved the first two instalments. Resolution of the Barrington succession is dealt with at the beginning and soon after, things start taking a turn to ... nowhere really. An unexpected trip to Argentina then drives the story to a sad attempt at being a detective novel. Cliche mafia-like characters take over, with some unfortunate Spanish grammatic errors and complete lack of elementary logic. The UK ambassador involved in this third class police drama hands Seb his passport only to ask him what his middle name is two minutes later... Come on!!! Could he not have read it on the passport? Not even amateur! Poor even if it had been written by a 6 year old... The end is absolutely rushed and inconclusive to tie you to a fourth book, which, I, for one, will not bother with. Can this really be the same writer as the previous two?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Apr 2013 01:12:28 BDT
Brilliant summation. Couldn't help writing my own review I was pretty disgusted with ARcher's lack of effort.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2013 09:16:48 BDT
I totally agree with the two last remarks. This book is rushed, poorly thought through and not a patch on the first two offerings. As the others have remarked it feels as though Archer let someone else finish off the story. I too am disappointed and will not be putting my hand in my pocket for another book by this author. I felt betrayed for my loyalty and patience.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 03:39:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Aug 2013 03:41:11 BDT
Oh no, I love Archer's books and I have read almost all of them. I love the first two Clifton's chronicle and I just have to get the third (waiting for the paper back to come out in a few days). Unfortunately despite what you all say, and I a totally believe you may be right, I will still have to get it as I have been waiting for it to come out for so long!

Thanks for the heads up all the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 05:08:41 BDT
it's your dollar, your choice. Nobody has to agree with anybody, everyone should spend their dollars and find out for themselves.
My wish would be for the author to read how disgusted many of us are at his dismal work, but that would never happen. He's getting royalties, why would he not be laughing ?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 09:38:03 BDT
Yes I agree "Hopeful", these words are just our views. I have also enjoyed Archers books. This one annoyed me with its choppiness etc which is why I felt compelled to say what I did. It would be amazing if Archer read these comments - unlikely, but hey, stranger things have happened. He knows that he didn't have a full story that covered three books. I wonder if Archer felt that other authors gained "gravitas" by using several books to hold the story and so he felt he had to do the same. Perhaps this brought him in more pennies. What do I know, but it didn't work for me and now I have this bad taste in my mouth about him.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 23:47:19 BDT
In our bookshop this Clifton Chronicles was marketed as a trilogy. Three. Now apparently he's been quoted as saying he's stringing it out to five. What a fraud he is. His record speaks for itself. He is infamously conceited and a legend in his own mind. From putting a full family drama saga into one book Kane & Abel, to this drivel, the man might have lost his powers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,482 customer reviews)

3.59