3.0 out of 5 stars Does its job as intended but it can be a little too enthusiastic, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security 2012, 3 PC's, 12 month Subscription (PC) (CD-ROM)
The McAfee Internet Security 2012 package was tested on two new PCs (both two weeks old) with the following specification:

Dell XPS 8300
Intel Core i5-2310 CPU 2.90 GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional
64-bit Operating System
Iiyama 22" dual screen monitors

I received my new system a couple of weeks ago with the McAfee Internet Security package already installed. My husband also bought exactly the same system for himself. We normally use AVG but seeing as McAfee was already loaded I thought I would give it a go and compare it to my normal anti virus, firewall and security package.

Regular scans of your system are easy to set up. You can run a quick scan then and there if you have any concerns about your system. You can set it up to scan items in real-time which means that as you open files or plug in a device it will instantly scan to check that there are no threats. You can also set up scheduled scans that can run at regular intervals, perhaps each night at a certain time or once a week.

No matter what you choose, scanning your system will slow down whatever else you are doing, sometimes to the extent that you can't work productively until the scan has finished.

I have real-time scanning switched on as I tend to open a lot of attachments. Much as I like the added security of being able to do this, the time that it takes can be frustrating - it seems to take longer than AVG ever did to complete the same action. I have also found that if I try to do other things such as open another document or application whilst it is scanning I have noticed that I seem to be experiencing a lot more crashes within applications which delays things even further.

I tend to plug in and unplug my Flip video camera, microphone and speakers a number of times throughout the day. Again, because of the real-time scanning every single time I plug in a device, up pops a window telling me that it wants to scan the device before I can use it. Yes, I can refuse the scan and close the Window down but it is just an extra thing to do.

Thus although I like the security of knowing attachments are being scanned I do feel that I am trading off that extra security for a loss of my own time - again something that I haven't experienced with AVG.

When running the scheduled scans McAfee keeps telling me that it has found suspect files on my system. However, some of these files have been installed for years, they are not anything sinister and have never caused me a problem. But McAfee highlights them in red every time and wants to remove them - but at least it does give me the option to ignore its suggestions - I haven't experienced it taking decisions into its own hands and just deleting files without permission.

The web and email protection seems to be working well and I have noticed that spam messages are being more accurately identified and being relegated to my spam box rather than clogging up my inbox - a definite plus.

Trying to network two machines together (both with McAfee installed) was a frustrating experience. Two Windows 7 professional machines connected over a standard network could not see each other. After three hours of trying many different ideas and solutions, I found out that the McAfee firewall was blocking both ends of the connection on each machine. After a lot of research I found that I had to open two ports on the McAfee firewall on each machine namely 3540 and 3587 as well as Microsoft Directory Server and Windows File Sharing. Once these were set both machines could at last see each other and share files.

Overall, this seems a fairly good package that does exactly what it is supposed to do, i.e. keep my system safe and protected. But, somehow I don't feel that it lives up to AVG with which I am more familiar. As I have a year's subscription I will keep with this package a little longer but I suspect I will soon be changing back

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]