5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Blu-ray release of a classic musical!, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: West Side Story [Blu-ray] [1961] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This review is for the recently released (I only got my pre-order yesterday) Blu-ray version of West Side Story. I couldn't wait to get the item out of its packaging and slotted into my Blu-ray player! I have waited years to watch this film in more or less the same video quality as I saw it on its release!

Well I would be less than honest if I didn't admit that some aspects of this film have become a bit dated. However, this is an absolute classic musical and there is so much to savour and enjoy. The music is magnificent as is the dancing and choreography.

The main purpose of this review is to pass comment on the quality of the new Blu-ray release. Is it worth the upgrade? My answer would be an emphatic `Yes'! The new release is superb. The colour palette is much improved with generally rich colours and good blacks and the picture is much sharper with better overall clarity. The sound quality is also excellent with a couple of options for the English listener. I chose the 7 track DTS default version which provided a very satisfying sound quality.

The new release comes with a modern picture in picture menu system and the useful `bookmark' feature so that you can personally mark all your favourite pieces. The film is presented in its original theatrical release complete with the intermission music. There are a whole host of extras which I have yet to view and my first impressions of this release are very favourable.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2011 15:52:49 BDT
Midge says:
Thank You for a review that takes into consideration both the picture and sound quality of a Blu Ray disc. Most of us of a certain age are familiar with the movie so info on the quality of the presentation is most welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2011 16:12:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2011 18:25:42 BDT
Nigel Mc says:
You are most welcome. As you probably know many of the older musicals were filmed on superb 70mm film and are capable of fabulous quality when transferred onto Blu-ray. South Pacific, The Sound of Music, Chitty, chitty, Bang Bang are just a few examples but there are many more. It is totally irrelevant that all these films preceded the Blu-ray format. What matters is the quality of the source material.

Posted on 20 Nov 2011 08:35:34 GMT
Sandford says:
Hello, excellent review, can you please confirm that this set, as opposed to the single disc issue is 'multi-region'. I note that the aforementioned is listed as region free but no such confirmation for the box set.
Thanks in advance.
Ian

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 12:07:21 GMT
Nigel Mc says:
Multi-region for the Blu-ray but I haven't bothered with the dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2011 23:40:52 GMT
Can you also clarify if the previously mentioned fault in the mastering (where the main title fades to black rather than dissolves through to the cityscape) has been corrected in this edition?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2011 09:45:30 GMT
Hi Giles,
I have to confess that I did not notice this change when I viewed the disc. For me it was not an issue but I accept the fact that for purists this change is probably important. However, I suspect that the vast majority of people will not notice it and if they do it will probably not be an issue of importance. If I get a chance I will check it out and report back.
Kind regards