5.0 out of 5 stars Great phablet - but understand what model you really need !!!, 22 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Titanium Grey (Electronics)
This phablet is worth every penny and a great asset to have especially if you are S-Pen lover like myself. I bought it just because of the S-Pen features and my love for andriod devices. This is purely a business phablet, but if you are looking for a phone just for calls, then I would advice you to buy galaxy S3 which also has fast processor and even 4G variant.

Samsung galaxy note 2 has several models and sub-variants based on country and operator's requirements. The most common models are N7100 and N7105 which have their own individual advantages and disadvantages. For UK customers, make your choice wisely because I have made my own choice already in a very brilliant way.

1. N7105 has 3G & 4G LTE, while N7100 is only for 3G in the UK - because UK shall be using the 1800MHZ frequency for 4G LTE.

2. N7105 has no FM Radio with RDS, while N7100 has FM Radio with RDS.

3. Some sub-variant of N7105 has wireless charging technology while N7100 does not have it.

4. N7105 is at present over £100 more expensive than N7100.

Every other features as well as physical dimensions are exactly the same for both N7100 and N7105 except that the firmwares are different. As I mentioned earlier, I have made my choice wisely, you are free to reason your own way, but I shall explain how I reasoned and finally bought N7100 as my preferred choice model for 2012/2013.

I guess I love technology and the idea of 4G more than any of my friends here in UK. I live outside London and I know for sure there won't be any 4G not until say September 2013. Even if I live in London, not everywhere would have 4G by September 2013. I don't need a 4G that I can't access in every city I go for business as I always do. If there is 4G in only some locations, then I rather use wifi instead of a wifi-like 4G. I cannot afford to pay over a £100 extra for a feature I cannot use satisfactorily not until say September 2013, reason being that Samsung shall release a newer model, galaxy note "3" before the end of next year. The new model shall be more advanced with improved 4G reception capability, faster processor speed, much more crystal clear pictures, possibly with 3D capabilities, more improved S-notes, etc. Based on this, I weighed my options and decided to go for N7100 which has all the features I need now, plus a lovely FM radio, and also saves me about £100, while I wait for Samsung galaxy note "3-D" "4G LTE plus" in November 2013 when also, at that time, there will be a reliable 4G network in the UK. I can't afford to waste £100 on the illusion of 4G LTE that won't be efficient until November 2013 and also regret when the 'galaxy note 3-D with 4G LTE plus' would be released.

You are free to make your own choice depending on city and availability of 4G LTE, but just make sure you check the model number before you buy. Spend wisely and apply wisdom in your choice because 2013 is just by the corner.

Hope this review/advice help someone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Aug 2013 21:23:35 BDT
Peter Piper says:
A very helpful review, particularly in explaining the difference between the N7100 and N7105 which brings to mind the old D900 and D900i differences. I'm also glad to know Vodafone haven't tried to sucker me with a 3G variant on a 4G (real soon now!) contract. Many thanks! :-)

Posted on 10 Oct 2013 14:07:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Oct 2013 15:00:49 BDT
clemenzina says:
I never dreamt when I read this review (more than once over the past couple of weeks) that it would have any relevance for me, as I never intended to buy anything other than the 7100 and that's what I eventually ordered from an Amazon Marketplace seller's listing under Amazon's own listing for the 7100 "sim free" - but it's just arrived and it's the 7105!

I'm about to open the box...

1500hr - Sim and battery inserted, Note2 now charging ;-)

Posted on 10 Nov 2013 05:59:40 GMT
Smiley says:
Hello, its been months since you had this phone, I'm thinking of going with the N7100. Do you regret buying it and have you had any problems? I've looked online and people have posted about the so called motherboard messing the phone up, leaving it dead. Please help this hopeful buyer! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 06:27:08 GMT
Ben says:
N7100 is a great pnone but regrettably the earlier ones manufactured running android 4.1.1 do suffer from sudden death syndrome (SDS). Samsung provided a fix for this problem in 4.1.2 though. Mine died suddenly on Sept 30th 2013, I called Samsung and they fix it within 2 days. As long as you buy an EU bloc model (you can confirm with the IMEI) you got no problem, since Samsung will fix it in seconds provided the IMEI is clean. Also, make sure you upgrade to android 4.1.2 before you use it and also search for apps to check if your phone has the insane chips and if it does, report to Samsung right away. Overall it is a lovely gadget to have and I'm happy with it, also very happy with Samsung support which is 110% efficient and very friendly. Don't let the SDS issue bothers you if you are getting a brand new with IMEI within the EU bloc. Note that country or place of purchase doesn't matter, what matters is whether the IMEI falls within the EU bloc. You can check IMEI free online. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 16:29:16 GMT
Smiley says:
I haven't actually bought the phone yet. Did you order directly from Amazon or a third party such as Inspired Electronics? I have no idea how to check the IMEI on Amazon. Also, did you actually send the phone off to Samsung? Does Amazon actually sell EU bloc models?

Sorry for being a nuisance!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 18:06:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2013 05:07:19 GMT
Ben says:
Amazon itself sells EU boc warranty models. But if buying from a third party probably on amazon marketplace, I would advise you email to ask about the carrier country before purchasing it. If however you bought it you can just check the IMEI using a site like this one: https://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr

I had bought a couple though, but it was the one I bought from Hong Kong that got bad, so I called Samsung UK, and they sent me pre-paid pack to return it to them since it is a Slovakia carrier. It was fixed for me in two days and returned by a courier, all at no cost. Thanks to Samsung. It doesn't matter whether you buy from ebay, Korean or Chinese sellers at amazon marketplace, just request for EU bloc model and you are covered for 2 yrs warranty from the date of purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 18:17:29 GMT
Thank you Ben!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (421 customer reviews)

£725.63 £273.00