5.0 out of 5 stars Fast card with more than enough capacity...why buy anything else!?, 1 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Transcend 8GB Premium SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (Personal Computers)
I use this card in my 2009 Nikon D60 D-SLR camera. It works beautifully and in terms of capturing continuous photos (without Active D-lighting enabled) it is quick.
However, when uploading the photos to a PC, it only comes through at about 8.5Mb/s (with Windows 7). This falls shourt of the 10Mbps I was expecting. In fact, I was hoping for more like 15-18Mb/s - but not so.
However, in context, my Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb 30Mb/s Edition card only uploads at 10Mb/s so it isn't that much slower. Perhaps I should do an experiment with a known upload size to measure actual performance.
However, this is an indication of the PC's poor card reader and not the card itself. As pointed out by another reviewer, the transfer rate is dictated by the hardware you computer has, and I know this card is quick because of the way it can take large, continuous photos at 3 frames/sec.

On a recent trip to Brazil, where I photograhed around 1800 medium and high resolution pictures, the complete upload time wasn't a major problem - less than a couple of minutes I think.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and I'd be happy to recommend it to anyone. This card is fast and capacity-wise, enormous. 8Gb is good for over 3500 photos at 5.6Mp and Normal compression with a Nikon D60.

Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera - Black (AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR)
Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card

N. Hunter, Littlehampton, West Sussex.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jun 2010 16:53:01 BDT
Bristol Mark says:
I think you may find your card reader is the limiting factor. That's not at all unusual in fact because most of the ones on the market are rubbish, and most fitting into PC's or laptops are similiarly bad. There's no way a Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb 30Mb/s Edition card should only be uploading at 10Mb/s. My card reader is "fair" - rather than brilliant - and with the same card, I get 22MB/s. Suggest you invest in something like a DIGISOL 47201 (search Amazon for it). It's about £7 and will *dramatically* improve your transfer speeds.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2010 12:54:53 BDT
Hi there Bristol Mark,
Many thanks for your feedback - I kind of expected the issue laid firmly at the foot of my laptop's door, so I'll look into a better card reader. I simply plugged the card into the laptop's slot to report those speeds, but I know it's faster because of the way it operates in my camera on "Continuous" mode, shooting large size shots at 3 frames per second - it copes very nicely.

Cheers,

Neil.

Posted on 15 Jan 2011 21:29:54 GMT
Brian says:
Just to point out a bit clearer, the speed of the card is not the speed it will tranfer to a PC, but the speed in which it data can be written to and from it. For all modern cameras you need a fast card (which this is) in order to record video or high res pictures at burst speed. Trust me, stick a standard card in your camera and I bet it will say it's not fast enough to record video.
Although you may see a small difference on your PC, your USB ports and hard drive speed have more affect on the transfer speed than the card itself.

Posted on 24 Feb 2011 17:10:41 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Nov 2011 15:41:09 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,852 customer reviews)
 (1,365)

£8.33 £3.99
Reviewer

Location: West Sussex, UK.