5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Unmissable Episodes!, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 4 Volume 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Three fantastic episodes of Doctor Who! What really stole the show for me was the Doctor and Rose meeting again. It is clear from the beginning of 'Turn Left' and more at the beginning of 'Stolen Earth' of their desperation to meet again, even more so because they're closer to meeting than ever before.
'Turn Left' is a great insight into how the world would fall apart without the Doctor and this shows what an amazing man the Doctor is. The fabulous Billie Piper returns as Rose Tyler and is a guide for Donna. The best of Donna's character is brought out in this episode and we really see how the Doctor has transformed her life for the better, like he did for Rose. I love the ending of this episode, where the Doctor realises that Donna has met Rose, and we get the return of Bad Wolf.
For me, 'Stolen Earth' is the best of the 3 episodes and one of my all time favourite episodes of Doctor Who. Right from the start, you see that even though the Earth is in great danger, you can still tell the Doctor's desperation to find Rose or at least speak to her again. We see the return of many familiar faces; Torchwood with Captain Jack, Jackie, Mickey, Martha, Sarah Jane, Harriet Jones. The moment in which the Doctor and Rose run towards each other is just magical.
I enjoyed the finale `Journey's End' as well as it brings an ending to all of the companions of series 1-4 stories. I liked how the Doctor and Rose got some time on screen together just them. I like the moment where Martha asks who the girl with the Doctor is (Rose) and Rose tells her, and then she says `Oh my god, he found you'. I love the look Rose gives the Doctor and it lets Rose know that the Doctor never stopped thinking about her. The idea of the three Doctors was genius and a great way to save the world! I love the scene in the Tardis with all of the companions together. Rose's ending was a disappointment for me though as she just got fobbed off with a clone Doctor. I loved parts of his scene though. Like where the Doctor says how Rose made him better. And he made such a sacrifice for her as the real Doctor wanted to be with her but instead he gave her the clone Doctor so that she'd have someone to live her entire life and grow old with. You know what they say, if you love someone let them go. I think this was a great example of that. I would have loved it if the Doctor could have told her he loved her out loud as we all knew that what's he was saying! And I would have also loved it if the one kissing her was the real Doctor.
The only thing that let it down for me is that I think they could have done more with Rose's return. This has been waited for all through series 3 and 4 and Rose is a character that hasn't been forgotten. Although I loved having all the companions together, I think it would have been nice to have had an episode with just Rose & the Doctor to give her character a proper ending, as I don't believe she truly got one.
New writer Steven Moffat saying that the companions from series 1-4 were overused is a load of rubbish and sadly, series 5 has ruined Doctor Who for me. The character of the Doctor has completely changed and he doesn't seem to take anything seriously anymore. The only thing that would make me watch it again is if Rose were to return or a new decent Doctor arrives. As you can probably tell, I am a massive fan of the Doctor & Rose and whether you are or not, I would still really recommend buying this DVD!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]