4.0 out of 5 stars New Review., 6 July 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Okay, 3 years ago I reviewed this game and simply titled the review as "sucks" so why am I coming back to it 3 years later? Well I re-played the game (Not like the last time where I simply borrowed and played it for about half an hour and got bored). I think GTA took a step that many people simply weren't expecting; some people loved it and some people didn't. I personally don't like the path Rockstar's been travelling down lately with the over the top action that the previous generation (PS2) had with their open-world games dying out in favour for a more realistic feel to it.

The reason I didn't like GTA IV as much as the older GTA games was mainly to do with the controls and the way the game feels. Sure it has a brilliant story and a great cast of characters, and even some of the missions are absolutely amazing, but a game that has a floaty clumsy feel to it's controls can get really annoying really quick. For example say there is something you want main character Niko to pick up on the ground, most games would allow sharp responsive controls to you are able to have access to the option to pick the item up but in GTA IV Niko can (and almost definetly will) take one extra step over the item and this can be infuriating. However I have (badly) reviewed this game before and was way more abrupt about the game and most of you are probably thinking why is he reviewing it badly again? I ain't, I'm about to go on about the stuff I actually did like about GTA IV.

I found the story rather great in GTA IV (not as good as 'Vice City' or the later released DLC titled 'The Lost & Damned'). I liked how you played a new character who wasn't American but did come to America to live in his cousin's supposed American Dream. I felt the characters had more personality with Niko not wanting to have to do the dirty work but unwillingly being dragged into it by his cousin's mistakes. Simply said, the characters do have a shine about them and it makes them believable.

The other thing I did love was how intense some of missions did get I won't spoil the game, but I was on the edge of my seat at certain moments as I had to hammer the sprint button in hopes that I would get away from the cops! It presented a whole new level of tension to GTA which felt actually as though some of the sequences were movie worthy and have already been used in movies, but ripped from them so players could feel what it would be like during those intense scenes.

The last thing I want to correct is the animations and graphics. The games graphics for it's time were some of the best and I have no way denying how amazed I was at seeing the graphics first time, for a New York-esque city, Liberty City is absolutely beautiful to look at with adverts being on billboards and neon signs being on buildings in the heart of the city, Rockstar definetly caught the essence of New York in this game. The animations are also pretty good, however that being said sometimes when playing the game the player character can seem a bit stale with how me aims his gun or when he is sprinting, but then when he's walking he can seem too floaty and will walk that extra step. But I've already covered that in the controls and thats what really only stops me from enjoying GTA IV as much as it's predecessors.

There is much I didn't mention like what the gameplay is actually like but if you've played GTA in the past you should have a rough idea what the gameplay is like, in a simple description you play a criminal in an open-world (place that is free to explore). You can do a variety of different things like fight people (Gangs, Police and even civilians) and drive around the city tackling mission as you please.

Anyway I hope people find this a more helpful review as my last one was both pretty abrupt and rubbish. (Also please ignore my fun rating I would change it to 4 Stars but amazon won't let me).

[Add comment]