5.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked classic adventure., 14 Feb 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Salammbo (PC) (Video Game)
Before I played this game, had you asked me my favourite point and click adventure game I would have been torn between Gabriel Knight II and Zork - Grand Inquisitor. I can now add Salammbo to that dilemma. Unlike our erstwhile friend below, I have read neither Druillet's graphic novel, on which this game is based nor Flaubert's 19th century historical novel. I have however, played dozens of point and click adventure games.

Graphically this game is similar to Zork Nemesis & Grand inquisitor, certainly in detail and quality, and full 3d first person perspective. However, walking round Carthage I would find myself wandering round looking at the architecture at the top of buildings, quite forgetting I was supposed to be looking for...something.

Puzzle wise, perhaps 60% of puzzles are inventory based, while some are puzzles where you will find clues in your journal. Similar to broken sword 4 in that respect. However, you will be surprised by some puzzles/tasks you need to perform, and I do not wish to spoil that surprise. Suffice to say you will not be disappointed, and there is nothing that is overly difficult to overcome. Having said that, I did find myself having to check the internet once or twice, and you sometimes need to have subtitles on(!) to be able to complete puzzles in the mountain pass temple.

However, it is the plot, perhaps unsurprisingly, which is where this game really excels. You play our glorious, almost inadvertant anti(hero) Spendius, surely the original composite Titus Pullo/Lucius Vorenus. All throughout it genuinely felt like being part of some saga/film, a genuinely immersive plot, with intriguing developments.

As this game was released in 2003, the graphics MAY disappoint some, but I personally felt they only added to this most incredible experience. Sadly the end sequence is all to brief, my only disappointment.

At this price though any fan of adventuring would be an idiot to pass this one by. Suffice to say I have since ordered a 1931 first edition of Flaubert's novel.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]