1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Know Your Onions: Graphic Design: How to Think Like a Creative, Act Like a Businessman and Design Like a God (Paperback)
After reading the multitude of glowing reviews for this book, I decided to pick it up and experience it for myself. Having flown through it in a matter of hours, I'm already eager to offload it and get back the money I spent.

If you're after a book that will look nice on your desk, and explains it's concepts in no more depth or insight than a Wiki article or dictionary definition, then this book is for you. If you're also a fan of forced and over-used colloquialisms and poor, repetitive humour, all the better! Add to that: a smattering of grammatical errors (in spite of the author's insistent advice to check your work), a positively distracting kerning issue (design choice?) in the paragraph text throughout, some questionable advice, and the author's bizarre tendency to employ terms he hasn't yet explained, and in some cases, never gets around to explaining. The latter is the most grievous error, especially for newcomers to design. One might find themselves Googling an unfamiliar term, only to wonder why they don't just forgo the book altogether in favour of an afternoon on Google instead (I would highly recommend this, above all).

The book's tagline sets expectations high - "design like a God". It won't help you do that. You'll be more familiar with some design language, and the author has included some worthwhile business/communication tips at the start of the book, but you can get better, more coherent information elsewhere, for free. This is nothing more than a lazy, lacking collection of concept introductions that barely scratch the surface or come anywhere close to being useful. Avoid it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Jun 2013 16:51:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Aug 2013 22:10:05 BDT
Drew says:
I don't really feel I can say 'thank you' for this review, after all - this is a proper duffing up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I would like to address your remarks if I may JT.

You are quite right, I do cover a lot of subjects in the book and some I subjects I cover could be a book unto themselves. For instance, if you want more detail on colour theory there are books out there that do just that. However most of material covered will not be found in any other graphic design books (let alone Wilkipedia) because it is a direct result of my experience running a design team.

The style and tone are designed to be different from other books on the market, so i'm not so worried about the conversation style stepping on the odd bit of grammar or a joke missing its target in a some readers minds. By the way, some of the text is letter spaced, rather than badly kerned.

Clearly this wasn't the right book for you, perhaps you should try "Designers are Wankers" or "How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul".

Your review seems to be anonymous, but if you contact me through the website I'll see what I can do to to make you happy and of course (as I state in the book) more than happy to hear about any mistakes I may have made.

Drew de Soto

Posted on 7 Aug 2013 22:44:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Aug 2014 19:10:55 BDT
I. says:
Funnily enough, the author's reply seems to substantiate at least some of the claims in the review. I would definitely not hurry to buy a book whose author spells "soul" as "sole", and mixes up "its" with "it's".

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2014 08:10:51 BDT
Roxy says:
I just read the inside of the book, and it is interesting despite knowing enough about typography. Saying that, I still learn a bit only from few pages...

If you want more basics and explanatory terminology, go and ask a lecturer, lets see if he/she will answer your questions.

On one thing I agree with you, they've broke the subject in so many parts, like we are millionaires, and for that reason I do not buy books of any of this genre anymore!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2014 00:54:30 GMT
Is this what they call irony?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›