3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more than a "branded" game, 25 May 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Super Pokémon Rumble (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Super Pokemon Rumble is perhaps one of the (seemingly large number of) games on 3DS which doesn't quite live up to expectations. Personally I didn't gain any enjoyment from it despite being a die hard fan of Pokemon. But this is exactly what I dislike about the game. It is not a traditional pokemon game. (duh). Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that the game is in no way the typically turn based pokemon goodness that we've seen with pokemon Black/White for example. What I'm saying is that Super Pokemon Rumble is simply "something to fill the gap" between the launch of the 3DS and the first ever LEGITIMATE Pokemon game for the 3DS - which we probably won't see for a while :( - Because of the following reasons, I would advise against buying this game UNLESS you're a little younger than myself (18 years) or you do indeed need "something to fill the gap". Or, if you are a parent looking to buy a neat gift for your child. HINT - If you're planning on buying this for your kid, might as well buy a "real" pokemon game in addition: Pokemon White/Black is the latest release.

Repetition:
For the initial 25-40 mins playing this game, I must admit, I was having a pretty good time playing it. It was only after I had beaten the first boss, gathered some stronger pokemon and saved for the first time, that I began to get tired. I decided (like any other patient gamer would) to get on with something else for a while. However upon my hopeful return I only bore witness to a further hour of cyclical and highly monotonous gameplay which consisted of: running around spamming the attack button before having my pokemon faint, only to replace it with another one, which was exactly the same only a little stronger and from within a vast archive of clones of that very same pokemon.

Presentation:
Level design is, quite frankly speaking, awful. I believe that if nintendo removed the "crisp" texturing of the avatars then this game would have probably been easily playable on the original DS. In addition, the whole 3D element is practically non-existent given the elevated birds eye view perspective of your pokemon.

Branding:
Simply by including the franchise name "Pokemon" within the title. It goes without saying that fans of the series will buy the game simply out of curiosity. I say this because I did the same thing and was deeply disappointed. I am of the opinion that Super Pokemon Rumble is an abomination which simply "cashes in" on the whole pokemon franchise. In fact I would regard a pokemon plushie with more value than this.

Price:
Upon comparison with other games on the 3DS: Resident Evil Revelations, Mario Kart etc. the prices are the same yet what you get is so different. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR OVER Ł20. MAYBE I would pick it up again if the price was reduced to Ł5 - Ł10.

The only thing I liked about this game was getting Ł20 for trading it in after a week. Spend your money on something good instead :)

[Add comment]