5.0 out of 5 stars A truly useful scanner, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Doxie One - Standalone A4 Paper Scanner (Office Product)
As someone who likes to try and keep my home office space as paper free as possible I started to scan everything I get a few years back to I could get rid of as much of the physical paper I have as possible. Or at least that was the theory! The reality of course was that the process of using my flatbed scanner to import even the smallest amount became such a chore that I was hardly doing this at all and I ended up with a large backlog that needed attention which when faced with this and the fact my flatbed isn't supported in Mac OS 10.8 I looked for an alternative and found a solution in the Doxie One.

When I was first looking at Doxie I was tempted but was a little put off at first as I didn't want the one covered in pink hearts (original Doxie) and didn't really want a scanner that relied on battery power (Doxie Go). In comparison with the competition I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on a scanner and it had to be small so I could stash it in a desk drawer so as to not take up too much space. It was then that I saw Doxie had the Doxie One on the way - I did some research and pre-ordered.

So after a few days with the Doxie I'm happy to say that it lives up to expectations, though it's not without its own little quirks! The first thing you notice when your Doxie arrives is that the company clearly has a bit of a sense of humor and the manuals included are refreshingly light hearted. In terms of setup there is a fair amount of clear tape protecting the Doxie that can be a bit fiddly to remove but once done it's a case of plugging it into the power inserting the SD card and off you go. Setup couldn't really be much simpler and as there's no computer involved in the scanning process it does mean that you and your Doxie don't have to be sitting next to a computer when doing the work. Personally there's something relaxing about feeding paper into a Doxie whilst watching the TV with a cup of tea.

In terms of scanning itself it is straightforward but you need to remember that this is more or less a budget product. Therefore you obviously don't have a sheet feed capability and the resolution may be lower than some may be looking for. However for my requirement of scanning documents it is more than sufficient. The Doxie can be picky about feeding paper in at times, particularly if you're dealing with some thin glossy papers or if your page doesn't have a clean edge to it where you are feeding it into Doxie. What I would say is that if a page doesn't flow properly through when you scan - do it again as when you see the scan on your computer you will probably realise it's a mess. I've only had this happen a couple of times and most of the time the Doxie one feeds paper through with no issues at all. I did find that you do at times need to be a bit patient with it which I suspect is down to the speed of the SD Card and the Doxie one will politely refuse to scan more until it's completed writing the last scan down to media. Most of the time I was able to feed one page after another with no issue at all. Scanning speed is good - you're only talking a few seconds per page which is many multiples faster than my old flatbed scanner.

Once you've scanned your images the really easy bit starts. Now as you don't have the Doxie One connected to a computer when you are scanning it can be a bit of an odd experience but it is I found a much faster workflow. You simply take the SD Card out of the Doxie One or hook it up via USB to your machine and the Doxie software which is available for download from their site takes care of the rest. Certainly the Mac version is friendly, easy to use and is very good at outputting to standard PDF or even Evernote should you want to go down that route. The electronic "staple" function lets you pick which pages belong together in the same document and the software makes things very easy to do the usual scanner software stuff such as crop, rotation colour adjustment etc.

For me the main thing though is that if the worst happens and I hit a compatibility issue with Doxie software in the future I don't really need it. The Doxie One is effectively acting as a digital camera and is leaving everything as a jpg on the SD card so it can be easily converted to PDF by another application if need be. For me this is the biggest selling point of the Doxie as for once I have a scanner which *should* manage to outlive a few changes in MacOS or windows along the way. After all with a camera connection kit you can even import the Doxie One scans into an iPad!

Oh - and I almost forgot to mention if you need true portability the Doxie one can take batteries which almost upgrades it to the same level as it's older sibling the Doxie Go.

Overall I'd say a good cost effective document scanner that I hope will be with me for a long time.

[Add comment]