5.0 out of 5 stars The ballet for my desert island! Absolutely sublime!, 2 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Adam: Giselle [Blu-Ray] [2010] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
It didn't take me too long to decide to purchase this version of Giselle amongst the number of excellent versions available. The combination of Cojocaru and Nunez was a seductive influence and The Royal Ballet productions on Opus Arte invariably provide reassurance of the overall quality of the performance. I was not disappointed. Yet another fabulous production!

This review is for the Blu-ray version. Both video and audio are excellent. Another reviewer commented that he was less impressed when he saw this production at a local theatre than when he viewed it on his home video. I guess that this anomaly could have been due to the equipment and its set-up or possibly the dvd used was not in Blu-ray? For those people who intend to project the image onto a screen, I can confirm that you will be blown away by the quality. The picture is very clear and the detail is amazing. The orchestra is on top form under the masterful direction of Boris Gruzin. This is one of my favourite ballet scores and the music matches perfectly the breathtakingly beautiful ballet movements, especially in the second act.

If I could only take one ballet to my desert island it would have to be Giselle and of all the available versions it would have to be this one. Absolutely sublime!

Edit 22/2/11
Someone has just pointed out Amazon's error in cataloguing these reviews. My review of this ROH performance is wrongly duplicated for the Paris Opera performance and vice versa for Jose Brito's excellent review! I have e-mailed Amazon but in the meanwhile Caveat Emptor for potential purchaser's thinking of buying on the basis of customer's reviews.

Corrected 27/2/11

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Feb 2011 17:44:33 GMT
Tony says:
Wrong place! Why is the ROH-Royal Ballet performance reviewed here?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 18:04:53 GMT
Nigel Mc says:
Hi Tony,

I'm afraid that this is down to Amazon. Sadly, they quite often get it wrong with reviews. In an effort to help customers (their words - not mine) they often duplicate reviews for recordings that they think are the same - typically with ordinary dvd's and blu-ray recordings. My review was made clearly on the Opus arte Blu-ray recording of the ROH performance with Cojocaru & Nunez. However, Jose Brito's excellent review refers to the live recording from the Paris National Ballet Co. Totally different performance! I have pointed out these errors to Amazon on other productions but it usually takes some time before they rectify the matter. If you check out the ROH performance you will see Jose's review and mine. A ludicrously confusing situation which I will again bring to the notice of Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 18:50:37 GMT
Hi Nigel

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful clarification. I have to admit that I am a very new ballet convert, mainly through my wife's influence; but I am quite interested in learning the details such as cast and versions, etc, and have started building our collection of blu-rays. Co-incidentally, we have just finished watching the RB/ROH performance (rented from LoveFilm) last weekend, thus the fresh memory. Was hoping to buy the Paris version for comparison and price difference (£7) but am now rather uncertain because of your rave review of the London performance.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 19:05:34 GMT
Nigel Mc says:
Hi Tony

I am sure that the Paris version is very good because Jose Brito has rated highly both the Paris and the ROH versions. Perhaps you should ask him for his definitive take?
However, words simply fail me to describe the beauty of the ROH version. Cojacaru is simply sublime. All my friends who have seen the ROH share my enthuisiasm.

If you are seriously thinking about the Paris production, you could check out this review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Adam-Giselle-Blu-ray/8172/

Good luck with what you choose to buy. We are lucky to have so many good recordings available to us.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2011 19:28:45 GMT
Much obliged. Cheers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

£29.99 £29.68