4.0 out of 5 stars Great kitchen radio., 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Sony XDRS16DP DAB+/DAB Digital Radio (Electronics)
This is my first digital radio as I live in mid Wales and it has taken some time for us to get a decent signal here.

I have been getting increasingly fed up with the crackly sound of our kitchen radio's FM signal and decided to go for a digital model. I looked at the Pure brand but some of the reviews were pretty negative and I didn't really want to spend as much as 100 on it.

After reading reviews on here I decided to plump for this Sony @ 58.55 with free delivery. I'm not sure why Amazon felt it necessary to take 4 days "preparing your item for dispatch", though I suspect it was to encourage me to use one of their more expensive delivery options in future, but the radio finally arrived 6 days after I ordered it.
It only took moments to find all the expected BBC stations along with a few others by using the auto tune feature and is giving us the clearest radio reception that we have ever had here through its DAB wave band. FM reception is no better than on the old tranny that it has replaced which is a bit disappointing but as long as the digital signal is working I can't see us needing FM at all.

The sound quality is very good for this size of unit, music comes through cleanly and spoken word programmes are really good. The volume is more than adequate for our kitchen.

Build quality is robust, the unit is quite heavy and unlikely to be knocked over easily. The style is fairly retro which gives a functional, unfussy look that would suit most kitchens. The controls are simple and logical so if you are one of those people that is morally opposed to reading instructions you will probably get on fine with this radio.

All in all I am very happy with this purchase and will add to this if it dies prematurely or lets me down in any other way, though Sony products are generally pretty reliable.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]