3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, 23 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Odyssey One (Kindle Edition)
When I first reviewed this book over three years ago it was riddled with typos, spelling errors, words out of order, unecessary punctuation and inconsistencies in the tense used, as well as what appeared to me to be continuity errors. I commented that it seemed to me that the author wrote this story at a fairly frantic pace and never went back to check it for errors, of which there were a multitude. Well the author has gone back to his story and had it professionally edited and although I have only read the sampler this time around it appears that all of these issues have been addressed.

So what does that leave? A decent basic storyline with some likeable characters and plenty of action. As all the errors seem to have been addressed I have raised my rating from 2* to 3*, in line with my original comments. To be honest I much prefer the author's series " On Silver Wings".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Sep 2011 12:18:28 BDT
An accurate and fair review. I might add that the author seems to be unaware of recent politics and history... a Soviet Alliance in the future? Really?

The grammar and spelling mistakes are annoying. The unnecessary commas are infuriating because they disrupt the flow of sentences and confuse the reader. Also, the storyline is just a little predictable. Of course the occupant of the escape pod would be a young human woman... Captain James T. Kirk, step forward!

Aside from that, it's a half-decent story, and I may well buy the sequel - provided the author stops letting himself down with his poor language skills.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 20:04:30 GMT
Paldis says:
Post 1 on this review questions a Soviet Alliance. A couple of points if I may, firstly it was written ten years ago and I suppose that would explain the use of Soviet. Secondly regarding an Alliance with the Soviets/ Russia, who was it who flew a USA astronaut to the Space Station last week in a Russian rocket? That looks like an Alliance to me.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2011 22:49:37 GMT
Not really; the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 - that's 20 years ago. If the book was written 10 years ago then it was still 10 years out of date. The Soviet Alliance referred to in the book would seem to be an alliance led by the Soviet Union, not the Russian Federation or even the CIS that succeeded the USSR. I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility that some sort of Soviet Union might resurface as a reaction to the current economic chaos, but it seems unlikely.

As I say, the story WAS entertaining; it's just that the author desperately needs a decent editor/proofreader.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 10:27:08 BDT
MartinA says:
A good review and useful to the likes of myself.
My one great disappointment with Ebooks is the lack of good editing as outlined in this review. It greatly annoys me whilst reading a lot of the free/low cost e editions.
I will therefore say "pass" on this book!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 08:52:58 BDT
tommc says:
"I might add that the author seems to be unaware of recent politics and history... a Soviet Alliance in the future? Really? "

It's a work of fiction. Humans don't have faster than light travel either. As a work of fiction it does not have to be historically or scientifically accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2013 19:21:21 GMT
L. Morrissey says:
This book is set over 100 years in the future, the Soviets could very conceivably re-establish themselves by then. In recent elections in France for example nearly 10% voted Communist. Whilst I wouldn't say it was likely, it's a long long way from improbable.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Oct 2013 19:22:42 GMT
L. Morrissey says:
I think there must be an edited version, as I read one that's almost (though granted I did spot one) free of errors.

Posted on 27 Oct 2013 19:27:51 GMT
L. Morrissey says:
I'm a British reader with no military background and I didn't find any of the dialogue confusing at all. The author very cleverly explains each term in the first use, thus, for anyone with a better memory than a goldfish* it's fairly easy to follow. The only slight issue I had was some of his names, there's an Alistair Rowley, and a Jaime Curtis, both of which made me chuckle, though that may have been intentional. Also, one thing as a British reader I found very distracting was that the XO was a big black guy called Jason Roberts, so I couldn't help but picture the Reading FC player every time he was mentioned.

*goldfish having a 7 second memory is actually an urban myth but I'm using a little creative license here

Posted on 7 Aug 2014 11:47:05 BDT
This is listed as "[Remastered Edition]", and given the more positive nature of recent comments I'm guessing that most of the grammatical errors and typos have been fixed. Still, it's surprising the author allowed the original to be published before someone with a decent grasp of english had reworked it -- that's a strange way for a competent author to behave.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›