5.0 out of 5 stars A Bittersweet tale, 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Hidden (Kindle Edition)
The whole Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong really is top quality lightweight contemporary fantasy. All of the books relate to each other yet can be read as isolated adventures with Armstrong ensuring sufficient context in the early chapters to bring new readers up to speed on the Otherworld and not frustrate die-hard lovers of her books.

** Amended to reflect that Hidden is NOT Ms Armstrongs last 'Otherworld' book!** Hoorah! I had previously reviewed saying that Ms Armstrong has said it will be the last time she writes of Elena, Clay and the cast of Otherworld... but another reader has corrected me saying that Ms Armstrong is actually writing a book '13' which will bring all of the Otherworld characters together for a big finale, and that will be published in 2012. Beyond that she hopes to write more eBooks/novellas relating to the characters in the series. Oh, I really do hope so because I'm not ready to say farewell. I want more. I want to follow Hope and Karl on their adventures. I want to pop in and see how Paige and Lucas are doing battling Cabals from within. I want to see Jamie and Jeremy's romance consummate and settle into a happy ever after. I don't want to imagine never reading of Nick clambering into bed with Elena and Clay, or being tricked by his best friends or tied up and experimented on by the twins. And I want to see the young wolves of Elena's new Pack grow. I want to watch how Elena copes with learning to lead, learning to be a mother, learning to be a true life partner to Clay. I want to see the youngsters learning from the elders - and maybe let the oldies have an adventure themselves 'Geriatrics of the Otherworld!'... but I digress.

In Hidden we find the Danvers' at Christmastime with a Christmastime adventure. Armstrong doesn't let us down with this Otherworld penultimate swansong. The plot is strong as ever. Mutts, dead bodies, curious children with instincts and directness. And a lead couple who have grown together over the series. There are nods to phases of Elena and Clay's relationship that will send fans of the series into nostalgic musings, but new readers will 'get' it because the emotional writing is so good you can relate. It's refreshing to see that Elena's confidence as an 'Alpha' in waiting hasn't done anything to mitigate all of the perfectly normal human feelings she has as a mother worrying about teaching her children about the human world and the 'otherworld'. And through it all the reader sees examples of how good both Elena and Clay are as parents. There's a wonderful scene in here of them explaining to the twins that adults who have to commit to a 15 hour work week does not equate to neglectful parenting... makes me chuckle just thinking of that. And through it all we are reminded that these two werewolves hunt rogue mutts and deal out harsh justice that is both direct and brutal. And still, the love comes through it all.

And the way these two now take on Jeremy's role of guiding and leading the new young Pack-members is so very bittersweet, cleverly written again with a nod to Clay and Nick's youth and brings me again full circle to why I don't want this world to cease being written about.

Sadly, Armstrong's YA books just aren't for me. So, it does look as though the release in 2012 will be my farewell to this author. I will keep an eye out, though, for any eNovel she does put out there in the adult supernatural world again.

I have been a Kindle user for over a year now, and have parted with most of my hardback collection. However, Kelly Armstrong's Otherworld series remains on my shelves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jan 2012 11:31:12 GMT
s pascoe says:
you know that '13', book number 13 in the otherworld series is released july 2012? that is the end of the otherworld series. this is the last elena narrated story, but not the last story including Elena, Clay and the pack, as '13' brings all the characters from the series together.
Kelley has also said that she could easily go back to the otherworld characters, if there is a story to tell. and she is also thinking of still releasing the otherworld novellas, as a way for the fans to stay in touch with the characters.
great review though! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2012 19:53:28 GMT
DDGwacott says:
Thank you for correcting me. The last time I saw an interview with Armstrong I understood that she wanted to finish on a high and, like a couple of other reviewers I had thought this was the last one. I am delighted to hear that it isn't and I'll add an addenda to my review referring to your comment on book '13'.

Sorry to see that although you think my review was good it still got a 'not helpful' vote from you.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2012 18:50:37 GMT
s pascoe says:
not from me it didn't? I have to say, this is the only time I've ever replied to a comment on amazon, and purely because I thought as a fellow Kelley fan you would be really happy to know there is one more book coming! :) and Kelley has just announce that '13' will have a bonus 25pg epilogue from Elena, so she does kind of end the story for now, having been the one that started it all. this is only in the hard back though, the eBook's won't have it. details here; http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/forum/index.php?topic=32660.msg181023
Kelley also has a contract with her publishers to provide 2 short stories from the series by 2014, which will probably end up in anthology's like her other short stories have.
and I agree with everything you've added! lol, there's so much going on with the pack right now, there's so much I want to learn more about. I to want follow Hope and Karl as they attempt parent-hood together. Nick in his new 'teacher' role! and seeing as I cannot afford £30 for the special edition book that has Reece's story in it, I want learn more about what happened in Aus with his parents.
but not helpful?!? I honestly didn't click that! SWEAR! lol
(and I've only just noticed you replied to me, hence the late reply)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›