5.0 out of 5 stars This standalone release Blu Ray does not freeze!, 10 July 2012
This review is from: Lost Highway [Blu-ray] (1997) (Blu-ray)
Having purchased and returned the debacle that was the David Lynch Blu Ray boxset, I just wanted to write a quick review to confirm that, unlike the boxset version of Lost Highway, this standalone release is NOT faulty, and does not skip/ jump/ freeze at the (approximately) 1hr 20min mark.

As far as I'm aware, Universal have yet to give an indication of when they'll sort out the problems with the boxset, so I've started to purchase them individually. Please also note that the standalone Blu Ray's DON'T come with the postcards of the disc covers that come with the boxset, which is a bit of a shame, but I'd prefer a working film to a postcard.

Although I haven't purchased it yet (and am unlikely to at this stage), I understand that the sound issues with the Fire Walk With Me Blu Ray release are on both the boxset AND standalone releases, so I'd guard against purchasing that one yet, as we all know how important sound is in a David Lynch film!

Five stars, of course, for a fantastic film. As you'd expect from Lynch: weird, wonderful, and able to get completely under your skin. Others have written much better reviews of the film itself. I just wanted to clarify on the technical issues.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Sep 2012 05:19:25 BDT
Paolo Storti says:
Hi. Thank you very much for this comment. So do you think it's much better to buy each Blu ray separate instead of the box set?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Sep 2012 09:39:30 BDT
You're welcome. Yes, until Universal release a 'fixed' version of the boxset (to my knowledge, they still haven't said when this will be), I can only recommend buying the films separately. It's a real shame, as it was a nicely packaged set, and buying individually does cost more.
Please note, though: the standalone release of 'Fire Walk With Me' has the same sound problems as the boxset version, so I'd recommend you don't purchase that one until a fixed version is released.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 19:35:12 BDT
A. Moncrieff says:
I dn't know about announcements but I received a replacement boxset about two/three months after complaining to Universal about the first one - they sent a whole new one to my home address for free. Issues with Wild at Heart and Fire Walk With Me were not only fixed, they also included 5.1 DTS-HD-MA, in addition to working Stereo mixes. I believe the standalone releases, while they do not freeze, still only have stereo.

However the "replacement" for Lost Highway is a total joke - it's an upscaled DVD and they kept the plain old lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 on it, and took some of the short films off of it!

But if you have the boxset and the individual release of Lost Highway, I highly recommend complaining to Universal and getting your replacement set. I'm unlikely to come back here, but if you click my name and go through my reviews, you will find my comment for the David Lynch Collection and in the comments beneath it all the details to complain. Hope this is helpful for someone!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›