5.0 out of 5 stars I see hope on the horizon, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD) (Paperback)
I have lived with, battled with, sobbed over, etc., etc., depression for the majority of my adult life (now 50 something) and have read a wide variety of books/articles on the subject in an effort to find lasting help. This book is pretty much the first to offer real practical hope for handling and improving the never-ending mental somersaults that depression can draw you in to. More accurately, maybe, the book provides practical ways to shift your thought processes that can otherwise drag you down into a spiral of depression. All these years of thinking I was being intelligent and strong by trying to figure out and analyse my way out of some of the darkest times are shown (in The Mindful Way) to be the very approaches destined to drag me further and further down.

I am about two thirds of my way through reading the book and have not yet carried out the breathing, standing and body-scanning exercises that you are shown (both in writing and on the accompanying CD) but the whole tenor of the writing has lifted me to a level of hope. Having been once told by my GP (and I believe he meant in the kindest way) that there is no *cure* for what I have (what a cheery day that was!)I have been comforted by the new approach shown in The Mindful Way that, if not guaranteeing a cure, certainly shows that one can change the destructive patterns of thought that have become habit over many years.

Having known deep, dark, can't-function-and-if-I-could-wake-up-dead-that-would-be-just-fine depression and some of its slightly lighter levels as well, I would agree with the authors' recommendation that their exercises aren't carried out while one is in a deep depressive place. I know that I wouldn't have been able to concentrate sufficiently to make the practices "work" in those days.

I have found this to be a book where I could not only underline sentences with a 'tick' in the margin in agreement with what's been written, but there have been whole paragraphs and pages too. If it's possible to update one's review on Amazon I shall aim to come back in a few weeks' time and give an update once I have put in to practise the exercises.

[Add comment]