3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as i remember!, 18 Jun. 2011
This review is from: McCartney II (Audio CD)
I first heard this album in the late 80's,when I was on my "voyage of discovery" of the beatles and everything connected with them.I have to say that at the time I was not impressed. Sandwiched between the underrated "Back To The Egg", and the superb "Tug of War" albums, this came as something of a shock. It started well with "Coming Up", (even John Lennon liked this one!), and then went into the almost unlistenable "Temporary Secratary". After that it was all downhill for my young ears! This album was the one I hated, and did not bother to purchase when the back catalogue was remastered in the early nineties. Flash forwars to 2011, and I decided to redress the balance, and fill the gap in my Macca collection, and take the plunge with this album! I was pleasantly surprised. Although it doesn't quite reach the heights of some of his other albums, there is much to enjoy on this. Tracks like "On the Way", and the closing track "One of these Days" bring back some of the vibe and feel of "Mcartney" and others like "Bogey Music" and "Darkroom" see Macca embracing the coming decade, synths and all. Maybe now, at the age of 41, I can see where he was coming from. The second disc has some outtakes and unrealeased tracks, the best of which are "Blue Sway" and "All You Horse riders" If you enjoyed Maccas last outing as the Fireman, Electric Arguments, then you should enjoy these. Overrall very impressed with these re-issues, although would have liked some sleeve notes, putting everything into context, and deatails of where the extra tracks came from. After the great treatment of the Band On The Run re-issue, is it to much to expect the same for the rest of the catalogue? Docked half a star for lack of sleevenotes! (Temporary Secratary is still a pile of c**p!)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Jun 2011 23:04:48 BDT
Antoine says:
Like your review, although I think Temporary Secretary might just be warming on me now, nearly 30 years after I bought it! Think I must have bought this in about 1983, probably the first McCartney album I bought (or possibly Tug of War, can't remember now!). As you say, with the passing of years the album's generally grown on me (maybe it's our age? nothing wrong with being 41!). Interesting comparison with the Fireman albums too, I hadn't thought of that connection but it's a good point. As for the sleevenotes, you really need the deluxe edition for that, it's well worth it for the photos and history of the album although it doesn't give much info away on track details or recording dates unfortunately as none of it was logged anywhere by Paul - he simply made the album up as he went along, in his home studios in Sussex or Scotland. All the songs just show a recording date in the book of summer 1979 with mixing dates in Abbey Road being a bit more specific in September or October 1979, apart from Blue Sway which was overdubbed in 1986 for the long running Cold Cuts project.

Definitely looking forward to the reissues of Back To The Egg and Tug Of War - two of his best albums. I hope the Back to the Egg TV special is on a DVD with all the promos from the album. I remember that being shown on TV in the pre-video days and being forced to go to school that day so never got to see it!! Aaarghh!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2011 22:42:01 BDT
SDB MELLONIE says:
The issue I have is the simply ridiculous price they are chrging for the edition with the DVD. Over 60 quid for ANOTHER re-issue. A pity as I thought the 3 disc version of BOTR was good value. And you're spot on about Back To The Egg and Tug Of War. Both sublime albums. Not getting so excited about potential re-releases of Wings At The Speed Of Sound or Off The Ground though!!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 19:11:33 BDT
Antoine says:
Agree, Off The Ground never quite did it for me, OK but a bit disappointing after Flowers in the Dirt. Amazon are usually very good on prices but the deluxe editions can definitely be found cheaper elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 21:59:54 BDT
SDB MELLONIE says:
Thanks for the tip off. I'll hunt McCartney II deluxe on the web. Though BTW I understand that Wings Over America is next scheduled for the remaster. Now THAT will be a great Deluxe version to have if it includes a DVD of the gig!

Posted on 3 Jul 2011 22:20:22 BDT
Ciaran Flynn says:
Cant believe you didnt mention Waterfalls, a great little Macca number. I bought this as an LP back on its original release, I was 13 and a big fan. Its not the worst, half the songs are actually quite good. I agree on this version though, no extras notes inside was very disappointing and the extra tracks are just OK. The equality is excellent. Not a patch on the Band on the run 3 disc version as mentioned by another commentator here.

PS I really liked Off the Ground. My least favorite Macca album is Wings Wildlife or Press to play

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2011 10:29:01 BDT
SDB MELLONIE says:
Ah come on! Press To Play has some great songs (Move over Busker, Pretty Little Head, However Absurd, Good Times Coming.. , Press) it's just the 80s production. A remaster of that with some remixed production would be interesting (although I think Macca even at the time didn't rate the production - by Hugh Padgam of Genesis/Phil Collins fame - as all the singles that came off it were remixed in their singles format). Agree on Wildlife though - a stinker!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2011 11:10:46 BDT
Ciaran Flynn says:
Maybe it was the production alright but the album never really worked for me, ironically a song you missed ,I liked the best, Only love remians.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2011 13:24:50 BDT
sistermoon says:
Didn't the Back To The Egg programme have the promo for 'Goodnight Tonight'?

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 00:37:44 BDT
To each his own, I like TS.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›