5.0 out of 5 stars Simple idea changes how you use your iPad, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: New Trent Grabbit/Gladius iPad Case compatible: iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2. 360 rotatable, leather hand strap, stand/movie wall clip and Matte Finish.
On arrival, I opened up the amazon package and was very impressed (again) with the high quality packaging provided by New Trent. As I've said previously, the apple accessories market is saturated with hundreds of different companies, all offering different qualities of product. If New Trent continue to put effort into the branding and packaging of their products, its a great way to differentiate from the crowd.

The box was content was pretty much as I expected. An inner sleeve protects the case from scratches, and a simple 1-page guide helped a lot. I somehow missed the included hard shell cover on the amazon product description, so this was a welcome bonus.

Having emptied the box contents, I set to work putting the kit together. This actually turned out to be a really simple 2 minute job. Just take the leather strap, loop through the back of the case and push the plastic 'stays' through the leather strap eyelets.

I actually received the grabbit at work, and didn't have an iPad with me. Despite the fact the instructions state the iPad keeps the strap in place, I found that it was kept in place regardless. I guess with any case, or holder you need to trust the item, so you're not expecting you're expensive iPad to hit the deck and die! The whole product feels like quality though, and I'd have no problem recommending it on that front.

The rear section of the case (where the leather strap attaches) offers good back coverage, but I felt the edges were a little bit exposed. This problem is lessened somewhat by the included hardshell screen cover, which covers pretty much all the exposed edges. The issue is therefore pretty much limited to those who want the leather strap back case, but don't want to be constantly adding to removing the screen cover. An ideal solution would be improved edge cover on the rear plate. I look after my gadgets, so the edge cover is not much of an issue for me, but I know others like as much of the device as possible to be under wraps.

Cut outs for the camera and speaker aside, the rear panel of the case is filled with a large circular cut out and rotation mechanism. This works well, and is both easy to turn and adjust, but stiff enough to remain at a set position. Theres also some setpoint at approx 90 degree gaps. In short, you can set whatever position you're comfortable with, and its really easy to adjust.

With an iPad in place, the leather strap really does help. I love my iPad, but its a bit heavy after prolonged use, especially sat in front of the TV. I found this a great balance aid, meaning I can hold comfortably in one hand, without dropping the thing! The strap itself is soft and comfortable, and with it being leather, looks expensive and well made. I'd have liked a choice of colours - either in the box, or at least different purchase options. I don't mind the red/brown personally, but options are always welcome.

In terms of adjustment, its available but limited. I didn't think I had particularly big hands, but I needed the leather strap fixed in large position. There's 2 positions at each end of the strap, giving a total of 3 different size options. I found medium too tight, but large absolutely perfect.

New Trent have also thrown in a Moviewall Clip. This has 2 functions and attaches through the hole in the back pane, under the leather strap. Firstly its a prop-stand holding the iPad close to vertically, and I found this very useful with my bluetooth keyboard. It can also be screwed to a wall and almost become a wall mounted dock! This I imagine would be great for watching a film.

After a few days use, I've found that as you might expect, the leather has loosened somewhat, and I'm now very grateful for the adjustment options, and the ability to tighten it!

This is a very good product, and although New Trent could have just chucked in a basic case with a strap, its clear they've thought about it, and thrown in additional features such as the clip stand, that other manufacturers would have charged for.

The case coverage could be better, and snapping the front hard shell case on and off is a bit annoying at times, but the benefits outweigh the annoyance by far.

As an idea, its simple, maybe even obvious, but I don't know of another manufacturer doing it. It's genuinely really useful and makes it much easier to hold the iPad one handed (no iPad mini required here!).

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]