4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome router - Works with BT Infinity well (manual setup required)., 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
I'd consider myself a computer expert, and I love this router. It looks awesome, it has an awesome name (Dark Knight), it is rock sold, provides extremely reliable wireless connectivity (only one dropped ping to Google in 2 days), and a shed load of advanced options out of the box for even the most demanding users. You can also install custom firmware (e.g. Merlin's) and turn on telnet and directly access the Linux shell. Yet, the defaults are sensible so it's good for beginners too.

So why only 4 stars? Well, it refused to work with BT Infinity using it's "Quick Internet Setup" wizard. This is disappointing given BT is the UK's biggest ISP. However, it DOES WORK with BT Infinity - you just need to set up the connection manually, and I'll post the details here in case anybody else has the same issue...

Cancel the Quick Internet Setup Wizard. Goto WAN (on the left). WAN Connection Type = PPPoE. Enable WAN = Yes. Enable NAT = Yes. Get WAN IP automatically = Yes. Connect to DNS Server automatically = Yes. User Name = bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Password = Doesn't matter what you put here, but it must be SOMETHING (I used "notset"), and this is what caused me the headaches as I'd left it blank like it is in the Home Hub 3 you get from BT. Leave everything else alone. Apply... and you'll connect.

EDIT AFTER OWNING FOR 4 MONTHS: This router has been flawless. It has not needed restarting once. My BT Infinity connection was down for several days while BT performed scheduled work at my local cabinet. But that didn't matter too much because I simply activated tethering on my Android phone and plugged the phone into one of the router's USB ports. Seconds later my entire network is connected to the internet again via 3G. How truly awesome is that? I've also used its "guest WiFi" facility where you can set up temporary (you set an expiry date/time) additional WiFi networks with their own names and passwords so you can give any guests you have staying over WiFi access without revealing your own WiFi password. You can optionally enable or disable local LAN access for the guest WiFi networks (i.e. give them just internet access, or full network access too).

Feel free to ask technical questions in the comments.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-60 of 94 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 20:05:00 BDT
Very many thanks for your prompt reply. Set up completed successfully.

Posted on 25 Apr 2014 10:40:51 BDT
asbo1970 says:
Hi I am very interested in this Router as a replacement for my Dlink 615 .I currently use Virgin Media super hub which is in modem mode already.
My question is will this router work straight out the box or are there firmware upgrades ??
Also I am running at 120mb broadband speed which is being held back by my Dlink which can only handle up to 100mb I take it after reading into this router that it should make a significant difference.
Reason for upgrade is simple also my Dlink is starting to drop out my guess is it cannot handle the boost I have recently had.
VM superhub 2 is an option and cheaper than the ASUS but reliability is the issue how long will it be before the Superhub 2 goes into modem mode and I am back where I started.
Any thoughts on which direction would be best

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2014 11:47:52 BDT
PaleBlueDot says:
Yes it will work straight out of the box, but it will also automatically detect that there is a new firmware and download and install it. This update contains vital security updates so you'd be really daft not to let it do this. This update will only happen automatically once, and only to a specific firmware version (which is NOT the latest). So you should update it again immediately afterwards.

This should not concern you at all. Just log into the router, click the Administration link, click the Firmware Upgrade tab, click the Check button, click "Yes" to install it. Wait until it says it's finished. Wait a few more minutes to be safe, then unplug and plug the router back in. Done. I've never heard of these routers having issues updating the firmware, but it can happen with any product. If it does, there is an application you can download from Asus that can fix it by putting the router into a special mode.

The router easily handles 120Mbit download speeds. However, as with all routers, it's only as fast as the slowest link. At those speeds it will likely be your WiFi connection. You'll generally only get 120Mbit speeds on any WiFi connection with new devices at very close range using the 5GHz Wireless N band (which is generally very quiet).

What do you mean by "started to drop out"? If your modem is losing connection or your cable connection is unreliable for some reason then a new router will not fix that issue. If it's WiFi that's dropping out then there is still no guarantee that this router will fix that issue - it could be a neighbour's WiFi or any other electrical interference causing the problem. If your DLink is just crashing and restarting, then yes this router will fix that.

In terms of reliability, I've been using this router for well over a year now. It has never needed manually restarting once. Its connection has been flawless. It's only ever been restarted when I've had a power cut or had to unplug it for other reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2014 19:25:18 BDT
Hi
Following our recent communication I have now installed my ASUS Router. However installation was nothing like your description as I tried to install initially wirelessly. When this did not work I resorted to an Ethernet cable link between the router and my PC. This allowed me to establish a link and then to set up a wireless link subsequently. However at no time did I get the display that allowed me to close the Installation Wizard and then access then WAN option that you (Pale Blue Dot) described so well. While my PC is working well on the wireless link I find that other devices on the LAN sockets are not yet functional and I have not had any option to seek for any firmware update. So I am somewhat concerned that what I have established is less than a complete or proper installation. Any further advice will be most welcome. While I am a professional engineer I am of an age that largely preceded the advent of modern computer technology (in my day it was called ADP!) so my computer knowledge is derived by trial and error and seeking guuidance from experts in this field.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2014 20:59:30 BDT
PaleBlueDot says:
When you log into the router, you should see a page with the ASUS logo and RT-N66U at the top left. If you don't, you're not logging into the RT-N66U but something else on your network.

Immediately below that logo at the top left is "Quick Internet Setup". Click that as that's the setup wizard.

The firmware update is found by clicking on "Administration" on the left hand side after logging in. Then clicking the "Firmware Upgrade" tab.

If WiFi is working and you can access the internet when connected to WiFi then the router is working fine and generally set up correctly. However you may be using a different set of IP addresses on the wired devices than what your router is set to use. For example, your devices may all be configured to use 192.168.0.X and the router may be set to use 192.168.1.X. This is quite common. It is probably easiest to set the router to use the same IP address as your old router than it would be to manually configure several devices on your LAN. Alternatively, you can just tell all the devices on your LAN to use DHCP and they should get an IP address automatically from the router, instead of using a static IP address that you have set yourself at some point in the past on each device. DHCP is the easiest way, as you don't have to worry about IP addresses at all then.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 22:05:28 BDT
Hiya, quick question.

Which Openreach modem are you using?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 23:01:19 BDT
PaleBlueDot says:
It's the Huawei HG612. Why'd you ask?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 23:04:20 BDT
Ponk says:
I recently bought the Asus DSL-N66U without paying much attention to the reviews-- I'm having severe connection issues with it, as my HH5 (what I replaced) was stable, but the Wifi is shocking. Now I'm reading here and there that the all-in-one solutions aren't ...mature enough. So I wanted to grab a cheap Openreach modem off ebay or something to see if this solves my woes, instead of using the integrated VDSL modem that's inside the DSL-N66U.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 23:05:30 BDT
seangs says:
I did exactly that. Paid £11 for the Huawei HG612 on eBay, and bought this. They work perfectly well together.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 23:07:28 BDT
Ponk says:
How stable is your connection and what speeds do you get? --and if possible, how far away are you from your cabinet/exchange. Thanks.