24 of 26 people found the following review helpful
Ruined A Good Series of Games!,
This review is from: Silent Hunter 5 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I owned all the Silent Hunters from 2 to 5, I have to say this is a major disappointment.
First, I'll get the DRM out the way by saying, ridiculous!! Plenty has been said on here about it and I ain't going to dwell on it anymore.
The draconian DRM I could tolerate if the game was good. Unfortunately it isn't. The few points that are major problems for me are as follows:
1) The walking about the sub is a gimick and nothing more. It actually becomes annoying after a while when you can't dive because you forgot that you left yourself on the bridge! It has replaced the use of function keys to go different stations which was simple to use.
2) The AI is dumb!! If the Royal Navy was like that in WW2 we'd all be talking German. Eg: On two consecutive patrols I sneaked into Scapa Flow (copying an actual event that happened in WW2), sunk a Battleship on each occasion and the destroyers just kept moving around on it's programmed track!! I got out without a depth charge dropped!! Same again when I caught an Aircraft Carrier group at sea. I was sat in daylight submerged but with my periscope up, a destroyer went right by me (I mean any closer I would've been rammed) and the escorts didn't react until the torpedoes hit the carrier. This brings me nicely onto.....
3) The damage required to sink enemy ships seems really inconsistent. An armoured Battleship sinks rapidly after 2-3 torpedo hits. The Carrier I just mentioned sank instantly after two. So why does an unarmoured merchant ship plow on after being struck twice without even slowing down? I've hit them, followed them expecting them to slowly capsize but nothing! Maybe thats me missing a trick but in the other SH games Merchants would usually go down after 2 hits (sometimes one) depending on their size where warships were tougher nuts to crack! (Rightly so as in real life if you read your history).
4) Not having a navigation panel to manouever your boat is annoying!
5) Story line on the crew is pointless and since the walking about is annoying, it's even more pointless. Crew management should've been kept to managing medals, promotions and qualifications etc as in the other games.
That's some of my major gripes. Too many to list.
The only plus is the graphics and that's it!
Overall, if they make a SH6, just update the graphics and revert back to the old working formula form previous games please!! Also get the mechanics of the game right! We sub sim fans want challenging not easy! I want to have to plan my approach to that enemy Battle group. I want to have to empty my tubes into the enemy Battleships and then if it manage to sink it, try to evade the escorts! Conversely I want to be able to sneak past the alert escorts on those Merchies but not have to hit a simple tanker/merchant 4 times for it to go down! Allegedy you can get fixes from mods but why should you have to whenyou pay money for a game? Silent Hunter fans, stay away and stick to SH3 and SH4.