5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone in the 250 price range., 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Before release of the W I was looking at getting either the Galaxy Ace or the Galaxy S2 (I'd also looked at similar spec HTC's, but preferred the Samsung designs). The Galaxy Ace seemed like a great phone but I really wanted the extra features of the S2, like higher screen resolution and browser Flash support, but didn't want to pay 500 (I don't do contracts). I decided to wait for the W, and I definately made the right choice.

The phone is positioned perfectly as a mid-range between the Ace and the S2, but is actually much better than the price would suggest in my opinion, and certainly closer to the S2 than the Ace. Essentially you are getting all the good features of the S2 for half the price. The main difference is obviously the screen, but Super Amoled is always going to look better, that's why it's double the price! Then of course there's slightly less internal memory, single vs. dual core processor, and 8MP Camera with 1080p video vs. 5MP camera with 720p video. But these were all compromises I was happy to make for the price difference.

It's still a great display though, and the same high resolution as the S2 means text and images are sharp and clear, unlike the Ace which I thought was a bit too 'pixelly' for my taste, and didn't provide the same legibility as the W. I'd never considered reading books on this phone, but after playing around with Kindle and Google Books, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The display also makes web browsing a joy, and the 1.4GHz processor ensures that everything is smooth and responsive. Pinch-zooming and page scrolling is lag-free, and I haven't yet found a website (even full non-mobile sites) that this phone has problems with.

Some people have described this phone as 'plasticy' or feeling cheap, but I really don't see why. To me the phone feels solid and reassuringly heavy, with a nicely textured back giving a great grip. I think perhaps too many people compare to the iPhone, but for me 'plastic' isn't a bad thing.

So, any negatives? Well only a few minors.

Battery life could be better I suppose. A full charge goes down to about half after a few hours of heavy usage e.g. browsing, downloading, gaming, camera, etc. But being a new toy I'm using it a lot more than I guess is normal. Sticking the charger in each night at bedtime is no big deal.

Also, camera pictures aren't quite as 'sharp' as I expected, slighty more grainy and softer edges when compared to my actual Fuji 5MP camera. But I'm really being picky here, it's certainly not what I would call bad.

Overall I'm delighted with my new phone, and I would recommend this phone to anyone shopping for a mid-high range Android phone. There really is nothing out there at the moment in this price range to beat it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]