13 of 72 people found the following review helpful
Most overhyped game of 2007,
This review is from: Bioshock (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Firstly - I found this game so frustratingly boring I couldn't even force myself to finish it.
* As I think everyone has said, the graphics and Art Deco style look amazing (for a while anyway until it all starts to feel very similar).
* I liked the use of tape recordings to reveal what had gone disastrously wrong in Rapture.
* Some fine use of music (similar in feel to the film The Shining)
* Gameplay quickly becomes mind-numbingly monotonous - go here, to get that, to open this, so you can go there, while being attacked by brainless "splicers", etc etc etc.
* The AI is dated and dreadful. The "splicers" see you, run at you, you kill them, or they kill you, etc etc etc. No tension, no suspence, just moronic waves of leaping idiots coming your way.
* Pointless and boring stuff like - hacking games (always the same and I just gave up bothering after about the 10th time). Security camera were particularly annoying. After I set one off I just ran round in circles waiting for the clock to tick down, because shooting the copter guns just meant another one appeared.
If you've just started playing fps then you'll probably enjoy the game. If you've been playing them for years then you'll realise just how dated a game this is. It's Doom and Quake - find a key to open a door, to move on to the next part, ad nauseam - with fancy graphical bells and whistles added on. Ultimately this is a dull, uninspired game presented in a very pretty box.
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Feb 2008 13:24:26 GMT
Posted on 31 Mar 2008 19:15:46 BDT
I disagree however some of your critisms are valid even to someone who enjoyed the game. personally I am yet to find a first person shooter that doesn't involve the find a key go here do that etc. I think part of bioshocks problem is that it appears to offer more freedom but what you actually get is pretty linear.
In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2008 12:49:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2008 12:52:19 BDT
I'd agree most fps do have this - get this so you can do that - element to a more or lesser extent, but I thought it was done incredibly lazily and unimaginatively in Bioshock. Rather than feeling like finding these things was fun, it became for me a laborious depressing chore. It is a shame about the linearity and bad AI because they obviously put in a huge amount of work into the look of the game which was stunning.
Posted on 25 Dec 2009 23:49:39 GMT
Mr. S. D. Thomas says:
Hmm, OK, I don't expect everyone to appreciate the same things. That's why there's always a choice of games out there. But 1 out of 5 stars is a little dramatic surely? It gets attention and makes a protest, but to get a score in the high 90's on Metacritic isn't easy because the protest votes are averaged out out by the many dozens of other professional game journos who "got it", and Metacritic.com have the correct assessment of this one IMHO. The lowest informed rating is 80% from Edge magazine who make their points well without taking the mickey by not giving this game a "green for go / buy".
Posted on 20 Dec 2013 11:26:22 GMT
My friend, you couldn't be more wrong, you must be one of those cod people criticising the games unlike cod or bf, first of all the AI may be dated, but why is that such a problem, it's an old game, the story is incredible, the world is beautiful, the gameplay is solid, there is seriously nothing to hate here but the hacking (which can be skipped), the missions are fun and honestly better than cod, battlefield and all those other crappy fps games which are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME, the game has much to see and do, it's fun, memorable and overall remains one of my favourite games of all time.
In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2013 13:11:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2013 13:12:02 GMT
In a lot of ways Bioshock reminds me of COD, same mindless waves of stupid enemies to shoot before preceding to the next level.
COD used to be good. Now it's stale. Bioshock's combat ditto, just with a better story.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›