ARRAY(0xad0de384)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stability, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (Accessory)
I've had this router for 2 months now bought to replace a Linksys WAG200G which would occasionally drop adsl connection particularly in bad weather. In my household we have 4 laptops, 2 Xboxes, a Wii, a lan printer, 3 Ipod touches & a WD Live TV Hub all periodically accessing the network/internet. First impressions were that I noticed it connected to the internet at a slightly lower speed than the Linksys, however after time I realised the connection was much more stable as with the seamless rate adaptation (SRA) this router has it is able to adjust sync speed to keep a constant signal to noise ratio (SNR margin) This has also prompted me to renew the telephone cabling in my house and buy a decent filter from adsl nation both of which have helped up the speed.
I had real problems on the Linksys getting the 2 Xboxes working on Xbox live reliably at the same time but with the TP link a 2 line entry into the port triggering table sorted this so I have 2 happy teenagers who can play each other on FIFA 11.
I was a little disappointed with the wireless range as I have a bedroom in my house that reception is poor, I tried the 5db and 8db antennae but these only improved it marginally. As the router is against a wall adjoining my neighbours I guess half the signal was going into their house. After buying 2 NewLink directional 6db antennae from Kenable (about 5 each) this directed the signal and the coverage is much improved. I use the router in g+n mode and both types work ok, I tried the 40Mhz method but because of the extra channels this uses it's not really an option unless you live in an area with very few other networks.
I have read a review about the modem resetting on torrent downloading and I found this to be true first of all, I believe due to the NAT table becoming overloaded. I had fullcone NAT enabled and the torrent client port forwarded. After disabling both, selecting UPNP on the router and Torrent client and limiting peers/speed on the client I am able to download happily at about 80% of my max speed without resets.
The DLNA seems to work fine with the 2 xboxes, they quickly picked up the WD Live TV Hub and I am able to stream video to these.
I find the user interface to be good with lots of options, I didn't use the set up CD as I prefer to put all the parameters in manually.
I recently tried the more expensive Edimax 7265 to compare with the TPLink and while I was amazed at it's sync speed but the SNR margin dropped dramatically in the evening to make the line unstable.
So, in summary if this were a more expensive router I would give it 4 stars but because it gives you a stable connection, many choices on the user interface and at a great price I'm giving it 5.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]