3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...but not great, 12 Jan 2010
This review is from: It Is What It Is: The Autobiography (Paperback)
As a Scot I really wanted to read this book because I was a fan of Coulthard....but it wasn't all I hoped for.

I actually look at him in a different light. Not necessarily a bad light, but he's not up where I used to place him. I've always classed him as a mediocre driver with occasional sparks of brilliance. His book seems to show this, but then contradicts itself by saying he is brilliant. How HE got big names to go to Red Bull.

He came across as arrogant and yet humble. Normal and yet a legend. His dismissal of "normal" people (he mentions how it annoys him that his friend says "you have to try Skateboarding" or "you have to try snowboarding "- why would you let it annoy you that someone says that??) seems to come from the fact that a chunk of his childhood is missing. He doesn't seem to know how to interact with normal people and doesn't seem to be comfortable outside F1. I guess this is normal as he's been in racing for so long...but it's a shame that he's missed his childhood. Also his dad seems to come across as a "US mother of a pageant beauty queen"...pushing, pushing, pushing. But I guess if you're going to invest that kind of money in your son, then maybe you would be that pushy. Seems a shame though.

The main gripe I had with his book is his constant insistence to advertise it to me...there's no need David...I've got it...that's why I'm reading it. It just irked me almost the whole way through the book (and therefore made it an uphill struggle to enjoy it) that he continually says "It is what it is"...it's a simple thing and I'm sure it won't bother many people...but it amazed me how much it got on my nerves. From then on (well before halfway through) I was fighting to enjoy it.

Don't go expecting any inside info into the paddock world or F1...it's Coulthards book and he's writing about himself. This didn't annoy me because I knew it was going to be about him...just letting you know.

I have to give him credit though. Normally if I am disliking a book, I have no problems putting it down. But something about it made me want to read to the end. And I did - so I don't know...it is what it is, I guess!

I gave it 3 stars - took one away for his annoying promotion of the book within the book, and one away for seemingly being so contradictory in places.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2010 10:36:44 GMT
is it what it is?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2010 10:40:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jan 2010 20:31:17 GMT
I might point out that Andrew C Stuart is a 30 year old comedian that I (unfortunately) work with and whatever he says about the book or my review has no bearing at all on the book or my review. Should I find out later that he has indeed read the book and commented on it/my review, then I will change my stance on his comments.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2010 10:57:49 GMT
I'd like to point out that Mr W M Riley is my partner - and also, I'm very happy to say, my lover

Posted on 26 Dec 2011 16:01:00 GMT
Stan says:
I am reading the book at the moment and I thought it was a bit cheesy to keep getting in the book title 'It is was it is' but this is a minor thing. I wouldn't dock him 2 stars for it, one at the most.

I am English and I never really support 'Coulthard' back in his early days but he grew on me and I did rate him as a driver. I thought the T.V. has really shown great character and I think he is a top guy, he like many others drivers and sportsman make great sacrifices to be successful. I always found him to be one of the good guys as all the Scottish F1 drivers have been.

Since reading this book I can honest say I would group him amongst the likes of Jackie and Jim, just for his dedication, courage and determination along with having great skills a racing driver. He certainly had the potential and is a Champion in my eyes.
He obviously like many other went through some very hard times and as we know F1 is a very cruel sport at times and he rode the wave to have a very good career.

I am actually finding it a more interesting book than I expected, even better than the 'Jackie Stewart' World is not enough and that is also a great read.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (41 customer reviews)

£9.99 £6.99