2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality product I would expect from Pure, 7 Feb. 2010
This review is from: PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black (Electronics)
This product has all the features that I would like to see on a clock radio, however the product itself does not live up to the high standard I would expect from a make such as Pure and for the price - £90 up. The first thing i noticed was the noisy mechanism of the CD player. The CD can be heard spinning (clicking) and it is clearly not a high quality feature. Secondly, and more annoyingly, the transformer makes a constant ringing/buzzing noise; this actually woke me up at one point - I thought it was someone's car alarm in the distance. Although this might not be a problem in general, for an alarm clock that is designed to go next to your bed it seems a significant flaw. The radio is good and the alarm works well, but considering the other points I was forced to return it. As few alarm clocks with all these features are available on the market, it is a shame that Pure can't sort out these simple problems.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Oct 2010 09:04:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2012 13:17:40 GMT
I think you have been unlucky, and you have a faulty one. Ours does not make any noise when in standby, and I am very sensitive to noise.
I am buying two more of these, but I shall check them and send them back if they have this fault, so thanks ( actually thought better off it, thankfully!)

One year later. The radio reception seems to have got much worse, to the point that I can't listen to music on this - not a reception problem, it's still fine on our other radios.
You are right about the cd clicking too - I'm very disappointed, and won't buy Pure again.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2010 10:26:41 GMT
A. Spinnaker says:
Hello! In Switzerland DAB will become the norm as the middle wave length will be shut down. I am looking for some device with CD player and DAB II... is it the case for this Pure chronos piece of hardware or is it only DAB? Tks

Posted on 6 Aug 2011 11:05:58 BDT
Bookworm says:
I found the same problem with the noisy mechanism from the cd player. I have purchased two Chronos models and
experienced the same thing with both of them.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2012 16:40:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2012 16:46:02 GMT
Peter Stamer says:
to A. Spinnaker 18/11/10:
If this information isn't too late, the Chronos CD Series II receives FM as well as DAB radio, plays CDs and has a 3.5mm socket for an auxilliary source e.g. MP3 player.

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 21:34:26 BDT
Bookworm says:
I totally agree with the comments about the noisy cd mechanism. I have bought two of these units in the past and
both of them proved to be the same. I have since bought a Sony cd/cassette radio which is altogether much better,
save that it doesn't have a remote control or clock.

Posted on 4 Dec 2014 18:14:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2014 18:15:32 GMT
DC says:
My model is 3 years old and we listen to the DAB radio on it every day but went to use the CD player today and it has given up the ghost!
Was expecting a lot better from Pure.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2014 18:40:39 GMT
Peter Stamer says:
Checking the obvious first, I presume after switching on you then pressed the 'Source' button and selected 'CD'. My Pure machine is also three years old and fortunately still working (I've just checked!)

After three years it's possible the problem is caused by a thin film of dust which has settled on the surface of the CD player's laser lens (a problem I've had with other CD and DVD players).

Try opening the CD player lid, remove the CD, and gently wipe the tiny lens with a very clean, lint-free, soft cloth. The lens is exposed and upward facing, so is very easy to reach.

Usually, for a short while, you'll hear the faint sounds of the laser head hunting up and down it's track, looking for the start of your CD - which it can't see due to the film of dust covering its lens.

If the mechanism is totally dead then I can't help. Let us know how you get on!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2014 19:30:26 GMT
DC says:
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I have done as suggested but there is no movement or sound coming from the mechanism. I have also tried another suggestion by holding down the CD lid but nothing happens.
When I press the source button and get to the CD mode it changes of its own accord almost immediately to the FM mode.
I am open to any other suggestions as anything is worth a try.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2015 08:25:09 GMT
Jane Bowers says:
Totally agree. Our CD player has had liight use and turning mechanism is making a grinding noise and is unable to play the disc. We suspect that the belt has slipped. The player is not yet three years old, but out of warranty. Contacting them, we were stunned to find that it costs £55 just to have it looked at. We explained that we thought it was only a slipped belt, but still got the same response. We have two other Pure radios and have paid more believing we will benefit from this in the long run. No more loyalty to PURE. We are about to purchase a Sony CD/TAPE/RADIO at half the cost.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›