5.0 out of 5 stars Told me everything that I wanted to know, 19 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual (Hardcover)
Wanting to get into woodworking for pleasure (and ultimately furnishing my house) but having very little prior knowledge about the subject, I wanted a book that I could use as a reference whenever it was needed. This book fulfills the role very nicely and gives excellent guidance on the purchase of tools as well as techniques. Having read through the relevant sections, I was able to go out the next day and purchase everything I needed.
Often the most difficult thing about starting out in a new hobby is finding somebody with experience to guide you. Whilst this is usually the best way, in my case it wasn't possible and this title was about as worthy a substitute as a reference book can be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Aug 2010 11:58:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2010 09:11:16 GMT
D. McKenzie says:
I was just about to buy a book I had on my wish list (The Complete Illustrated Guide To Furniture And Cabinet Construction), but was directed here by one of the reviews by Kristian Rasmussen instead. I hope I made the right choice, but I will let you all know. I want to construct an 'apothecary desk' from scratch and have only schoolboy knowledge of woodwork (plus about £1,600 of tools bought from Amazon and eBay!).

Although the book took much longer than usual for Amazon to arrive (it was well within the estimated delivery time; I'm just so used to getting what I want the following day), it was certainly worth waiting for.

A word of warning, though. The book does indeed give a very good overview on woodworking techniques and the section on 'joints' is the best I've ever come across, but you will need to obtain plans for specific projects elsewhere. A comprehensive bibliography is included in each section with a brief review on the contents.

This is not like a normal reference book; I made the mistake of jumping straight to the project I had in mind and was disappointed at first because I got lost in the jargon. Then I read the introduction and realised that this is best read as one would read a novel - cover to cover.

We all know that there is no substitute for actual experience, but having now digested the tome, my knowledge of woodworking has increased enormously. All in all, I am very pleased that I bought the book and am the wiser for taking the trouble to read it.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2010 00:47:31 GMT
Sparkle says:
i wonder if you made yourself a bookshelf to put your new book on? LOL thanks for the good review, i've just bought this for my dad that is slowly working his way through the internet on what to buy and not to buy for home woodworking projects!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2010 09:50:17 GMT
D. McKenzie says:
No, I bought two ready made ones from Amazon and B&Q, although I could have easily made both at a fraction of the cost and had them fit perfectly. Tell you dad (in his quest for compiling a woodworking tools collection) to first look at some lists on 'essential woodworking tools' - there are loads on Google. Then when he's found an item that he wants to buy, advise him to look at Amazon, eBay, B&Q and if he's REALLY interested in getting the best price, get him to download http://www.getinvisiblehand.com I have saved myself a small fortune by using it. Also, tell him to buy the most expensive tools he can afford. They really DO last longer and are more accurate.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (61 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £0.01