5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a great DIY sous vide controller, 8 Jan. 2013
Used this to create a DIY sous vide controller for a slow cooker and it works great. Packaged it up into a weatherproof junction box to make it splash box.

Measures to 0.1c accuracy (although I suspect I need to calibrate it as I ended up cooking my steaks medium-well rather than medium-rare)! Also, very quick reading.

The probe appears to be waterproof (although there's nothing in the documentation which says whether it is or not).

What's also nice is that it doesn't need a separate low voltage supply - the whole thing runs off of 220v.

Only negative is that the instructions are very poorly translated from Chinese but it's not too hard to figure out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Feb 2013 00:03:30 GMT
EclecticEd says:
Hi MR - interested in making a sous-vide myself - are you happy with the kit after recalibration? Also, I presume you need a SSR?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2013 09:20:38 GMT
MR says:
If by SSR you mean a relay, nope - the relay that's built in is doing the job nicely. Regarding calibration, the unit was within 1c when I tested it in ice. The weakest link in my set up is really the responsiveness of my slow cooker - I end up with the temp fluctuating about +/- 2c but that's good enough for what I'm doing. I just set the temp 2c lower than the desired cooking temp and give it a little longer in the water bath.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2013 09:22:52 GMT
EclecticEd says:
Great - thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2013 19:13:21 GMT
CC2000 says:
Hi. I too am interested in sous vide. I see no plug sockets, so could you please tell me how you set this up with your slow cooker, is it earthed? Do you just dangle the temp probe in the water? Are you still happy with its function? Many thanks in advance. Cris.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 09:25:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2013 09:29:11 GMT
MR says:
If memory serves me correctly, the controller has inputs for live and netural to power itself, and a separate live input and output for the relay. The netural and earth from the slow cooker would bypass the temp controller's relay and go straight to the power coming in.

Here's a wiring diagram (it's the best I could get it to come out in a comment!). On the left-most side I've put a plug. Between the controller and the slow cooker I've put a socket to plug the cooker into. I've packaged the controller and the socket up into a waterproof box to keep it neat, tidy and safe. I used a socket with a neon light on it so it's easy to see whether it's switched on or off by the controller.

L  --------\---------------\
                                                     E                |
E  ----------------------------------------T-----------/

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2013 09:33:12 GMT
MR says:
Oh, and yes, you dangle the probe in the water. There's no documentation on whether it's supposed to be water proof but it seems to be fine after about 50 uses so far, and I've taken it up to 100c (in a kettle to calibrate it) without it failing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›