3.0 out of 5 stars Most ridiculous amount of cut scenes and utter useless dialogues in gaming history, 16 Jun 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) (Video Game)
I know all MGS die-hards will probably disagree with me but then again I am not a die-hard fan.

I will keep this short in simple: The fact that this was the first game to use a full 50GB dual layer blue disc will tell you how much content is in this game. Unfortunately, the folks of Konami did not spent 3 years putting together the most awesome gaming experience in history but (for whatever reason), decided to blast the cash by making animated movies in-between the game play, which destroys any possible tension or excitement which you could have gotten from completing a previous level.

I am unsure why Konami felt a need to do this but one thing is clear - The average stealth action player will yawn themselves into hyper sleep, while you get lost in the amount of times you need to skip a cut scene to finally get to have some action again (I counted a total of 9 + 3 save pop-up windows - in a row!!!). It must have cost a gazillion of Yen to make this game, why do you not provide 2 versions than: A Directors cut (extended story - all the ins and outs) and a Normal cut (for those of us who do not have an animated cut scene fetish).

Like Playstation UK magazine said in the June 2009 edition ` it's hard to ignore the fact that you can spend almost as much time watching MGS4 as you do actually playing it. This imbalance needs to be addressed if the series is to win over the nonbelievers. Either tweak the watch/play ratio or provide two playing options.'

Last but not least, please have a long hard look at the dialogue and the scripts being used for the cut scenes. Some of the conversations taking place do not make any sense whatsoever and bore you to death with repetitive detail and bloated meaning. Pimp-up the chatter and entice me to watch it - otherwise it is a waste of my time (and money).

Final word: Eagerly awaiting the release of Assassin's Creed 2 - Should be a stealth action jam!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Sep 2009 17:16:56 BDT
Sir Lagsalot says:
Hey man, I'm pretty sure that this game was made with the fans in mind, as such there are a lot of loose ends that needed tying up and I think the game achieved that - We're talking about 20ish years of gaming here. The cut-scenes were long, even for a MGS game, but they were well produced and, in most people's opinion, quite entertaining. Many reviews have stated that skipping the cut-scenes detracts from the experience and I couldn't agree more. The Voice acting, animation and storyline were all great in my opinion.

I'm not going to rag on your review as it is your opinion. But I would suggest playing MGS3 instead - most people's series high point and (marginally) more gameplay orientated.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2010 20:33:45 GMT
A. Richards says:
I would have to agree with the reviewer's general sentiment. I was personally fine with the cutscenes for maybe Act I, but then the story unraveled in a heap of dis-jointed, unintelligible garblings about - I'm not actually sure what, actually. (And this is coming from a fan of the series since 1998)

It's such a shame to see Mr Kojima's so-far-so-good record blemished by this sorrid excuse for a game. The series's high point was definitely MGS3; which struck a perfect balance of story, gameplay and overall entertainment. Just writing about it now has put a smile on my face, in fact!

Whether Mr Kojima will recognise MGS4 as a mess, it's hard to say. I can only hope that MGS5 will use MGS3 as its basis for success instead.

Posted on 23 Jun 2010 14:27:30 BDT
I don't think calling MGS4 a mess is in any way justified. The story makes perfect sense, you just need to get your head around it and since I did, it's not the fault of the game. That being said, it is very complicated that they did make it a bit too convoluted. The story in a game, even one in the MGS series shouldn't be so complicated as to give the player a headache!

I agree, MGS3 was the best by far but this is still an excellent game. Just not a perfect one, the number of cutscenes for instance is insane and the final cutscene in particular just goes on for faaar too long.

Posted on 8 Dec 2010 15:05:30 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Dec 2010 15:06:40 GMT]

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 05:39:12 GMT
mrfluffy says:
assassins creed 2 lolzy lol :P ohh deary me haha play a real mans game like dark souls or ninja gaiden which both are amazing game play wise,if you think assassins creed has anything on mgs stealth you are a fruit cake sir :P yes I agree the cutscenes are too long and the dialog is cringe worthy a lot of the time.

Posted on 27 Jun 2012 21:58:01 BDT
Yeah they is too much cut scenes in games like this they should stop
or phone calls to snake saying how to do a mission.
When the information is right in front of your face

Posted on 7 Jul 2013 01:01:21 BDT
C. Mills says:
I all out agreed with you...until I saw that you were looking forward to Assassins Creed 2 for a "stealth action jam!". Assassins Creed is by far one of the worst attempts at a stealth game I have ever seen. By no means is it a bad game but to class it as even an average stealth game is a joke.

Posted on 23 Sep 2013 18:31:07 BDT
T.Campoy says:
I agree that the cutscenes were too long but as a person that has followed through the story of MGS, this game gave the closure I needed. Every game in the series leaves you with questions unanswered, even this one has left us with questions - I mean to "die hard fans" of the series - but although sometimes I would feel like I needed more gameplay I couldn't stop watching the cutscenes in neither of the times I've played and this one literaly ties up all the previous ones so it's just AMAZING! But it's almost like watching a action movie.
The game is beautiful and very well done but if you don't know the past is probably impossible to follow.
The game play is near perfect experience, there is some much fun on it, the AI is brillant! The problem is that there isnt much game play... I just wish there was more going, longer maps for example...
Although is a game that I love, I would never recommend to someone who doesnt know the story, reading a resume isnt enough, you need to play the past games to feel it, this is one of those series that drag you in and thats it, start with the beginning and you will never let it go.
I cant wait for the next one!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (258 customer reviews)

49.99 12.39