5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews helped me... so here's my take on it.!!, 1 Aug. 2012
This review is from: PCTV Systems DVB-T2 292e nanoStick HD TV Tuner - Watch, Pause & Record Digital Freeview Hi Definition and Standard Definition TV on your PC. Stream LIVE TV to your iPad, iPhone, PC. (Electronics)
I read the reviews before deciding to purchase this product. There were varied reports on ease of setup, ability to find HD channels and the program guide.

My set up was on a very standard 64 bit Windows 7 installation that had not had any tuner hardware tried on it previously.

On first plugging in the 290e dongle Windows7 did not recognise the hardware. I removed it and loaded the software from the CD. Didn't bother with the PCTV software, just the WMC drivers.

Plugged in and Windows7 recogised the hardware. Plugged in the cable to an external aerial on my roof.
(NOTE: I had never had a TV working on this aerial connection before)

Then in WMC setup I had it search and find the tuner. No problems there.

As a previous reviewer noted my system appeared to find two tuners, a standard DVB tuner and then a second which seemed odd as I only had the one piece of tuner hardware installed. By default it did not have this second tuner selected before it asked me to proceed to search for channels. On the first run through the channel search it found only 10 channels, and I quickly assumed this was most likely due to a very dodgy aerial connection to the outside antenna.

I live in a fringe reception area, and decided it was pointless proceeding with the setup unless i made sure my aerial connection was a good as it could be. I actually then replaced the whole coax up to the aerial with new Quad sheilded cable spec'd for digital reception.

With my aerial setup then upgraded I proceeded again to search for channels.

This time I made sure I selected both the standard DVB Tuner that WMC found and the other "ghost" tuner WMC also discovered before proceeding to search channels. It found over 100 channels this time around including all the important HD channels.

All the program guides and everything were set up fine.

Apart from sorting out my aerial [which had nothing to do with this product of course!], all in all it was a very easy set up with WMC, the only possible confusion was around wether or not to select that "ghost" tuner that was found.

Great product then... Easy set up... great pictures.

Just make sure you have a good aerial setup if you haven't already been using it for digital reception. I doubt the small whip aerial in he package would work an all but the most perfect location conditions.

I'm very happy and would highly recommend !!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2012 11:44:40 GMT
Jimbob036 says:
Hi, I wonder if this is actually a dual tuner, with one tuner for watching one programme, and the other for recording another one at the same time?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 10:41:33 GMT
MrDidge says:
NO, it's just a single tuner. Seems to identify itself twice to WMC. So if you want to watch one channel and record another you will need two of these dongles.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 17:02:44 GMT
Jimbob036 says:
I bought one of these after reading the reviews, and funnily enough, mine only found 1 tuner (unlike most of the other reviewers). This found over 100 channels, some of which were HD. Unlike yours, it downloaded & installed the drivers automatically as soon as I plugged it in, and was then ready to tune.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›