3.0 out of 5 stars Silly cost-cutting has diminished what used to be a good product, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Men's Walking Trousers (Sports)
It's not actually a bad pair of trousers but, compared to what they used to be like, just not as good. Still the same "generous" cut as the old version.I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it! so, what's changed?

Pro:
* Wider belt loops. Makes it easier to insert and remove belt; makes it easier to use a wider belt if required -- and it is!

Con:
* Light-weight belt webbing. This means that, under tension, it distorts so it is like a piece of cord; uncomfortable.
* The bars on the "male" bit of the belt buckle are inadequate and break under tension.
* Shallow pockets. They've reduced the depth of the hip pockets (as measured from the bottom of the slit opening) from 14cm to 8cm. Even handkerchiefs fall out just from normal walking around. This renders the unzipped pocket worse than useless; the zipped one is just about tolerable.

Frankly, given that the cost of an item like this is mostly in the labour, not the fabric, it is royally idiotic to reduce the quality of what was once a very good product just to save a few square centimetres of fabric. Irritating decision!

Edit, 2014 Jan 01: The stitching on the cargo pocket is beginning to come undone. This is unacceptable for something that is only 8 months old and is probably a consequence of cheap manufacturing and poor quality control: I have two other pairs of Craghopper trousers, both of which I have had since 1999; one of them has been really badly abused (caving, sailing, etc), but the pocket stitching is still intact.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jul 2014 23:57:58 BDT
P. Ryder says:
Absolutely agree with this comment. Have been buying these since they were first introduced (early versions had no cargo pocket!), and pretty much live in them. My latest ones are frankly poor quality, exactly as described. Unless quality improves, I'll be looking for alternatives.

Posted on 23 Aug 2014 21:36:29 BDT
Peter says:
Yes, it's a shame when manufacturers ruin a good product for the sake of saving a few penny's, I have used these trousers in the past and agree that they WERE a good product, now I use military combat trousers which you can get in black if you don't like wearing camouflage, they are cheaper, more hard wearing, just as comfortable and have more useable pockets.

Posted on 3 Oct 2014 08:23:18 BDT
MPA_Brackley says:
I can only agree with the other posts, I have been wearing the Kiwi trousers for donkies years and the quality of the finishing has diminished. However, when bought at the sale price they are still very good value.

Posted on 18 Nov 2014 09:10:06 GMT
I agree totally with the above - the belt broke after 3 walks and the fabric is much lighter - I weighed them and they are about 15% lighter than my old Kiwis. I will not be buying them again and that is after about 15 years of only buying this brand.

Posted on 19 Jan 2015 16:26:14 GMT
Redshark says:
My last five pairs of Kiwi trousers have varied. I have noticed too-thin fabric on one and too-shallow pockets on two of the pairs I have purchased. Two have mobile phone pockets that are too narrow for my phone and one has poor stiching between the legs. I have two acceptable pairs out of five. Very disappointing and I am now looking for alternative trousers to purchase and will not be bothering with these again as quality has surprisingly but definitely dropped.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2015 18:39:56 GMT
Tetenterre says:
If you do fnd a reliably decent replacment, plase do let us know! Thanks.

Posted on 14 Jun 2015 21:13:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2015 21:22:52 BDT
This review just about sums up the diminished quality of the (so called) Classic Kiwis. The first obvious change is the belt loops, all of my previous pairs have had the double loops, the new "Classics" have single loops. The pockets are a joke, they are not worthy of the name, and the material of the trousers is of a lower quality. This is most notable at the knees where you can hardly tell there is a double thickness of material whereas in my older pairs it is more than evident. The cut of the legs and seat have changed and the rise is shorter making them far less comfortable to wear. I feel cheated.
I have just consigned an old pair of REAL Kiwis to the bin after wearing and washing them for about 15 years, because they had thinned at the upper knee seam to the point where they were about to give way. Trousers that last that long a period of regular wear are true value for money.
Like some other reviewers, I will not be buying another pair of Kiwi trousers, ever.

Posted on 29 Aug 2015 18:56:35 BDT
djc says:
I agree, I have been buying these for years, have a variety of colours, wear them almost every day. But the cheese-paring on the pockets is irritating and stupid. I have a 'stock' that will last a few years but I doubt I will be buying more unless the pockets are sorted.
For an improvement I would move the zip on the side of the cargo-pocket to the other side so it was at the 'top' when sitting. Much easier to remove passport, tickets etc in that position when travelling.

Posted on 8 Nov 2015 18:17:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2015 18:17:43 GMT
JimRB says:
Thoroughly agree. Since around 2009 the short pockets have been a major issue. The last lot I bought had zips that gave up the ghost. Sadly as I had paid to get teh pockets extended, I couldn't return tehm. Please will everyone who reads this review PHONE CRAGHOPPERS and tell them!

Posted on 19 Mar 2016 12:35:51 GMT
Potsinker says:
Totally agree that quality is going downhill. More dissapointingly is that I suspect Craghoppers know this and just do not care.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›