4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 5 Aug 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3) (Video Game)
I love the LittleBigPlant games and a karting game is welcome edition along with the talented voice of Stephen Fry who I now can't see a sack person without his narration. It also gives Playstation owners a karting game that's as close to Mario Kart for those who don't own a Nintendo console.

Problem with games like this is you have to have a lot of luck which causes frustration in my opinion. Mario Kart, Wipeout etc all weapon based shooters you can be stitched up on however I have to say you need more luck with this than any other weapon based shooter. It's one of those cases where you can race the perfect race and stay in first the whole race but then hit with 5 items on the last corner going from 1st to 8th, it's not a great feeling and half the time it isn't avoidable. The game does let you protect yourself with some items but this doesn't always seem to work and even when it does you normally get hit by someone else straight after.
Some other item issues I have had come from my own items that are meant to be a help become a hindrance instead. One instance of this was when I got the boxing glove, which turns your kart into a massive boxing glove that smash karts out the way and speeds up your journey however mine decided to veer into a corner of the track while everyone else passed me. Another problem was a fast forward item, which speeds your position forwards in an instant, mine did just that yet when I was back in control I was at the edge of the track so I drove right off it rendering my fast forward useless. This is just a couple of issues I had while playing to give you some example of some of the games flaws.

I like the way the game is split between races, single timed races, boss battles and battle modes, it provides something different than standard story mode racing and reminds me a little of Diddy Kong Racing (remember that? That game was awesome). LBPK has lots of collectables to obtain throughout every level which gives you items to use when creating your own tracks, it also gives you something else to do while racing. The battle mode is fun however I found it flawed when I realized I could drive in circles where the items are and just continually fire out weapons taking out karts quickly.

There are good things about this game, the customization is huge, from your sack to the kart and the tracks themselves, and it's a shame you cannot bring some of your purchased sack costumes from the LBP games though. As previous LBP there are a shed load of items to be bought from the PSN most of which I feel are overpriced and not worth the money, especially the Sack Costumes as you won't really benefit from them sat in a kart. The soundtrack is one of the best things about this game, some really good tunes as you drive around, some of which I haven't heard for a long time, it really brought a smile to my face. The graphics are as good as the LBP platform games and the loading is pretty slow.

Mario Kart still is the king of karting games, the online mode on LBP Karting wasn't great and I found myself racing just 1 other person out of a potential 8. As other LBP games online tracks developed by people at home are brilliant, it blows my mind how good a track your everyday gamer can produce, there are even some Mario Kart tracks which are spot on.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]