33 of 47 people found the following review helpful
Andy Murray, PRINCE2 Consultant,
This review is from: Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 (Paperback)PRINCE2, or PRojects IN Controlled Environments, is a project management methodology. It covers the management, control and organisation of a project.
PRINCE2(tm) was launched by the UK Government in 1996 and has since become the most widely used project management method worldwide. By the beginning of 2007 there were more than 250,000 certified Project Managers who had sat and passed the PRINCE2(tm) practitioner exam. Practitioners can now be found in all 7 continents (yes, even in Antarctica).
PRINCE2(tm) is now more than a just manual. When people say "we are using PRINCE2(tm)" they don't mean that they are using the manual. They mean that they direct, manage or participate on a project which follows (some of) the processes, components and techniques embodied in the manual. PRINCE2(tm) has become `a way' of delivering projects. It has become a community, comprising:
* The UK Government (it is owned by the Office of Government Commerce - OGC)
* A documented method (the manual, now in its 4th edition), available in several languages
* An accreditation body (APM Group Ltd)
* 120+ accredited training organisations, providing training around the globe in 17 languages
* 15+ accredited consulting organisations
* Software tools (There were 52 tools supporting PRINCE2(tm) listed in the last PM Software Tool sourcebook)
* An official user group (The Best Practice User Group - BPUG) and numerous others covering more than 10 countries
* Several on-line discussion forums dedicated to PRINCE2(tm)
* More than 1.6 million pages on the world-wide-web which reference PRINCE2(tm); much more than any other method.
While the PRINCE2(tm) manual is owned and maintained by the UK Government, several other governments are now recommending its use (for example The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany) and it has been adopted by The United Nations Development Program as part of their global framework for managing projects. Its use extends beyond Governments and institutions as it has been adopted by the private sector with some vigour. PRINCE2(tm) has also moved beyond its IT origin and is used for R&D projects, construction projects, product development projects, marketing projects, business transformation projects and many more.
If you want to use PRINCE2 to manage your projects then this is the essential reference book.
* 8 chapters of processes (e.g. directing a project, initiating a project, planning)
* 8 chapters of Components (e.g Organisation, Management of Risk, Business Case)
* 3 chapters of Techniques (e.g. Product Based Planning)
* Appendix A - Product Description outlines
* Appendix B - Project Management Team roles
* Appendix C - Risk Categories
* Appendix D - PRINCE2 healthcheck (a set of checklists)
* Appendix E - Project Document Management