2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, superslim, decent sound but too flimsy, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Jabra Halo Bluetooth Stereo Headphones (Electronics)
This is a follow-up to my initial review

Two power supply failures, and a hinge controlling the on/off switching that has split and part-broken and probably won't last much longer has made me re-evaluate these headphones. It's a shame as they are really nice to use but, lasting for about one year with daily use does not equate to durability in my opinion. The original power supply was faulty upon receipt and credit to Jabra, they sent out a replacement straight away. Unfortunately that unit too failed after about 3 months but I found that my Samsung phone charger fitted and has been used as a replacement without issue.

Original Review posted 21st January 2011
I've had these headphones for a couple of weeks now and really like them. In comparison to my wife's Sony BT DR-21G's the sound quality is noticably superior with a deeper bass response and a near abscence of the digital harshness often associated with bluetooth devices. Unlike the Sony's, I can use these for hours without discomfort from either the fit or the sound perspective. These Jabra's also have a wired headphone lead included for non bluetooth-enabled devices. I find that the sound is surprisingly good, given that they are using a wireless connection.

After pairing with my Sony X-Series Walkman(fitted with a bluetooth adapter), my wife's Sony NWZ-A829's Walkman(with built-in bluetooth) and my Samsung Wave GT-S8500 'phone, I find the Sony bluetooth headphones are marginally less susceptable to signal drop-out. Unfortunately, although Jabra claim that two devices can be connected simultaneously, I find that when both the phone and the Walkman are connected at the same time, the volume control stops working. A workaround is to set the volume on the Walkman connection first, then connect the 'phone. Not ideal.

Jabra Halo's come with 'Noise-Blackout' which is a twin microphone external noise-cancelling system. Fancy name but it doesn't seems to be that effective and is a bit disappointing.

Bluetooth initial connection time seems perfectly acceptable (I haven't timed it) and I like the touch controls for volume, track skip etc. when compared to the Sony's rocker switch arrangement, but they have taken a bit of getting used to. Battery life appears to be about four-and-a-half hours-ish and recharging takes about two hours. Unfortunately they don't have a power switch so powering up is performed by, if already folded, unfolding the headphones, or if unfolded, then folding and unfolding!

If I were to loose them would I buy another pair? Yes, without hesitation. Price is a subjective matter, so only you can decide if they are worth it. I've marked them down a star for the disappointing noise-blackout system, the bluetooth connection sensitivity and the concerns over durability of the hinges that need to be folded daily to power up/power down the device. Having said all that, and as stated at the beginning, I do really like these headphones and they are my favourites to date. I just hope that they last.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]