4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too damp for me, but does a good job of the ironing, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Philips PerfectCare Pure GC7619/20 Steam Generator Iron - One Perfect Temperature - 200g Pressurised Steam Boost (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to own up to not being much of an ironer. Shirts a couple of times a week and the odd pair of trousers and that's pretty much it. If it takes me more than 20 minutes at a time then I've seriously lost interest. So please bear that in mind while reading my words.

My previous steam iron - a standard/normal steam iron that you put water in - has served me for over a decade. It is also made by Phillips. I put water in, check the temperature dial hasn't moved, iron away, tip the remaining water out, wrap the flex round the storage area and put it away in its little nook in the pantry.

This monster is a whole different ball game.

It's huge for a start. Well the ironing bit itself is actually pretty neat and compact, but the whole thing is huge. If you haven't used one of these before, the idea is that the water reservoir is separate from the iron and water is fed to the iron through a tube. So if you have tons of ironing to do I guess you don't have to fill up the iron so often. If that's a problem for you then get one of these. Though since it generates much more steam than my old iron, I guess it uses up the water faster too.

Filling the reservoir was a pain. There's a stupid little flap that pulls down and you have to aim your tap into this. Bear in mind that you do this while struggling to hold this awkwardly shaped reservoir under your arm. Why they didn't provide some sort of filling jug I don't know. This flap thing seemed poorly designed and very flimsy.

Another feature of this iron is that it has no temperature control dial. The iron magically decides what temperature I need for my shirts. I'm a control freak. I also like to live dangerously and have the iron a little hotter than the care label suggests -that seems to get the creases out better. I mean have you ever had something made of cotton that creases like crazy and the care label has one blob for the ironing temperature? I want to iron cotton with at least two blobs set on my iron dial.

The iron bit, just like my old steam iron, has lots of holes in the sole plate, but the steam only comes out of the holes at the very tip of the iron. I don't know whether this is intentional or I got a dodgy iron, but it didn't seem quite right to me.

Then, in order to begin ironing, I have to find somewhere to park this huge water reservoir in a kitchen with limited worktop space while I iron away. Eventually got it all set up, dragged the water pipe out of its slot in the base of the water reservoir, and started ironing. Wow! How smoothly did it glide over my shirt?

I was impressed.

My impressed-ness, unfortunately did not last long, because by the third shirt the iron was starting to drag a little on the cloth. If it had stayed the way it did at the beginning I would have loved this. This then happened intermittently afterwards. I think it was to do with the level of dampness caused by the iron itself.

While ironing I didn't notice any spectacular improvement in crease removal. What I did notice was the fog that was slowly filling the kitchen. No, I'm joking, but there was a lot of steam. So much steam that, by the time I had finished, the ironing board cover was wet. Everything I ironed was too wet to hang up in the wardrobe as I usually do. I had to hang all my shirts back up on the clothes dryer until they had dried again. The reason I iron is to get things off the drying rack and out of the way.

Several days later when I selected one of these shirts to wear I noticed something odd. They were smoother than they had ever been. I was truly impressed again. My shirts have never looked that good.

I don't like the amount of moisture that this iron generates and that I have to dry things after I've ironed them, but it does seem to do a cracking job of the actual ironing. If you only have a few things to iron, then it probably isn't worth spending the money. But if you have loads of ironing to do, and I know people that have their washing machine on every day and iron everything that comes out of it, then you might want to give this some serious consideration.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]