ARRAY(0xb5b26918)

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection, 10 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Close to the Edge (Audio CD)
"Down by the edge just by the river" we are told. Andersons Lyrics allude to something but never quite reveal his intentions, thats the vagueness and genius of the title track. It starts with the rich textured soundscape accompanied by intense jazz drum and bass(lovely full rickenbaker sound) provided for us by messers Bruford and Squire. Then the song starts and were taken somewhere we think we may have been before, but are not quite sure. Recorded on newly introduced 16 track equipment and by engineer Eddie Offord, the album sounds beautiful. Played on modern equipment today it shows analogue recording at its best (my recording is in AAD format)and now with remastering (ADD) it sounds even better -lovely clean bass and sharp drum sounds.
Unashamedly I love this album, allured initially as a boy of 16 to the artwork of Roger Dean I found a richer world inside the cover. I should aslo say that all three tracks on Close To The Edge are equally exquisite, both Siberian Khatru and And You and I, are infinitely listernable. this is so-called prog-rock of a different order. So much so that yes never really attained the level of fluidity again.
If green had a sound, then this is what it would be.
Moth

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Dec 2010 19:52:54 GMT
SonOfJim says:
That's a really wonderful description you have for this album - I sit here listening to it after a 28 year abstinence and it takes me right back to my teenage years. A truly great album, one of those unsung classics.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2011 07:25:39 GMT
J. Higham says:
Yes, I also have this CD (along with 'Fragile') and have to agree with you. The music on this album really was a peak of creativity, in fact there's a wonderful documentary (look on YouTube), with Jon Anderson talking about all of this stuff.

What's also interesting about your review is the fact that the artwork was also so important to those buying the music, and as you mention the fact that as teenagers we were somehow magically transported to another world when imagining those pictures. Science fiction in those days was still fairly 'utopian' as comparison with the following years realist directions - Blade Runner, Judge Dread, and the rest.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 08:34:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2012 08:35:11 GMT
Good morning chaps
I have to agree close to the edge has to be one of my all time favourite albums. every time I play it I am transported back to the very first time I heard it. Roger deans artwork was & still is superb. I have to say that I bought Greenslade's first album on the strength of the artwork, and have never been disappointed.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 11:51:47 GMT
R. Pievaitis says:
hi moth,great review,got to agree with your ending comment "if green had a sound ...." do you know i have actually said this very same phrase to my wife and many others i have been trying to explain the allure of this fabulous recording to.
how co incidental ????
i am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the sacd version -i have pre ordered when the album was first listed in early december 2012 at 19.99.the delivery date keeps being pushed back from mid december now to late february.but i will keep my order open as this is my fave classic rock(prog genre) of all time even better than the few floyd efforts that come as close contenders (dark side and wish you were you here).
still rather odd that CTTE has taken all these years to make onto sacd format-is it multi channel ?(i hope so )and that they decided to release fragile many years ago (what about 10 ?) on MC dvda.now all we need releasing on MC sacd or blu ray MC are the next 2 amazing musical journeys namely tales and relayer.imagine tales in full high res multi channel surround sound !?!?! wow that would be rather excellent (i know some are put off the rather high level of personal input one has to invest in tales-but ever since it came out i have loved that album and it is a close friend to me know).
all the best to all fellow Yes fans.

Posted on 23 Sep 2013 21:19:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2013 21:32:13 BDT
spiderboy says:
'Never really attained the (this?) level of fluidity again'...........I am also a huge fan of Yes but disagree totally. Although Close To The Edge is brilliant I think it was eclipsed by Tales From Topographic Oceans, also by Relayer, and also by Going For The One. Awaken is the best Yes song of all in my opinion, the jazzy angle taken by The Gates Of Delirium and Sound Chaser would have been unachievable without the keyboard duties of Patrick Moraz. Sure the 3 tracks on Close To The Edge are wonderful, but just a stepping stone to the levels achieved subsequently.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›