4.0 out of 5 stars The life of a checkout girl, 21 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Checkout Girl (Kindle Edition)
I always enjoy reading about people's jobs and getting an insight into what life might be like as a vet, teacher, B&B owner etc so this book was right up my street.

The author took a job at Sainsbury's specifically to help her gain an insight into life as a checkout girl so that she could write this book. She successfully gains a part-time job and starts recording the daily trials and tribulations of life on the tills.

She has plenty of funny stories to tell us about the customers she sees on a regular basis, some of them made me laugh, some cringe. She was working when the recession took a firm hold and she tells us about the impact she noticed on real people and how it affected their purchases and their lives.

The bits of the book that really hit home for me was when she described things customers do regularly that on reflection, I realise I do all the time. Things such as profusely apologising for not remembering to take in my old carrier bags. I still forget but now I don't try to make out that it is the first time I have forgotten. Things like trying to hide my PIN number from the checkout girl - although I still find this a difficult one not to do.

Since reading the book I always go to Sainsbury's expecting that the checkout girl (or boy) will try to engage me in conversation. Tazeen regularly recounts how she was pulled up for not chatting or interacting enough. However, I would say that on almost all occasions, unless I initiate a conversation first the COG very rarely chats.

All in all, an easy read with many humorous parts. However, take some of the things in the book with a pinch of salt - they may have happened or perhaps more likely, they may have been been built upon for the purposes of entertainment.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]