ARRAY(0xa6f669b4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Insulted and frustrated by Apple and their new iMac, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Apple 21.5-inch New iMac (Aluminium silver) - (Intel Core i5 Quad-core 2.9GHz Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, OS X Mountain Lion) (Personal Computers)
Am I the only Apple customer annoyed and insulted by Apple's decision (amongst other things) not to include a CD / DVD drive on the new iMac?

It is a desktop computer. What does it matter if it is thinner than the previous iMac? Who cares if it's "5mm thin"?

It is a classic example of form over function. So long as it is thinner than the stand it sits on it makes no practical difference if it is thinner than before.

What does make a differrence however is how it works, what jobs it is capable of doing and how easy it is for those jobs to be done.

Without a CD / DVD drive a number of jobs / tasks are no longer possible on this machine.

It's obvious but...

You can no longer import your CDs into itunes.

You can't install your software CDs or DVDs onto the computer.

You can't watch DVDs on it.

You can't burn CDs or DVDs for playlists, back ups of data / photos / home movies etc

What I find insulting is that Apple use the excuse of disregarding the DVD/CD drive in an attempt to make the iMac (pointlessly) thin.

This isn't the real reason. Surely the real reason is so that you can no longer import CDs and DVDs, so as a result people will be forced to buy all their music and movies etc through iTunes, and software through the app store.

It is simply a money making exercise. Apple are deliberatley inconveniencing their customers in an attempt to force them to spend more of their money through iTunes rather than buy the cheaper, better quality and often preferable CDs and DVDs.

What is more insulting (and deliberately rude) is Phil Shiller's remark that people wanting the option to have a CD / DVD drive on their iMac are "stuck in the past".

I'm not stuck in the past. I'm a professional photographer whose clients often require images on DVDs. The clients are not stuck in the past either. They are at the cutting edge of fashion, design and advertising.

To say DVDs and CDs are out of date technology is simply untrue. Whilst it may be the case for some, for the vast majority of the Earth's population they are very current technology.

75% of all music and movies are still bought on CD and DVD. Apple might not like that, but it's true.

Most people also have collections of music and movies that they would like to be able to import onto their new iMac.

Apple used to be about building machines that suited the needs of creative professionals. It seems these days are over.

Apple now thinks it is acceptable to insult these customers by pretending that it is more important to have a "5mm thin" computer (at the edges only) than have a CD/ DVD reader / writer.

But this is far from the only appalling design decision Apple made regarding this iMac.

They also chose to have all the USB and Thunderbolt ports out of reach on the back of the machine.

They have abandoned their firewire support completely, leaving everyone with firewire connected external hard drives etc in a situation where they have to buy ridiculously overpriced adaptors in order to use them on these machines.

They also located the DS card slot along side the USB ports on the back of the iMac (the most inconvenient and annoying place possible on the iMac).

Along with the speaker, now facing backwards and away from the computer's user making the sound terrible. How can that possibly be a good idea?

My gripe isn't about money or the cost of an external drive.

I know I can buy an external DVD drive, and I have, but not an Apple one, a Samsung blu-ray writer. But what is the point of having a thin computer when you then have to have a drive sitting next to it using up a USB port?

Apple should not be allowed to get away with these underhand and insulting tactics and remarks.

I've been a loyal Apple customer for twenty years and have a huge amount of Apple computers, ipads, iphones etc. But I'm unhappy with their new direction.

Apple succeeded in becoming as big as they are today because customers like me bought their machines because we wanted something better to use for our work than the technology provided by the PC market.

A good looking machine is fine, but not when it comes at the price of practicality and functionality.

It's time they stop treating their customers this way and give us what we want and need, and not just what they want us to have.

This isn't the Apple that Steve Jobs created, and this company isn't infallible, it is losing it's direction and it's integrity.

If they don't want to continue to lose the support of a growing number of disgruntled customers Apple need to have a word with themselves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jan 2013 14:27:57 GMT
From the fact that this New iMac do not accept CDs I'm lead to buying the thick and old one instead.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 14:40:04 GMT
Oli G says:
You're not alone. Forums are awash with people frustrated by the design of the new iMac, not just the absence of a CD / DVDV drive, but also non upgradeable RAM so you HAVE to buy it from Apple at inflated prices when you order the machine, no firewire ports (so you have to buy overpriced thunderbolt adaptors), SD card slot on the BACK!.. backward facing speaker, ... the list goes on.
No complaints on Apple forums though, Apple won't allow it ( as I discovered when I tried to post about it).

Posted on 30 Jan 2013 18:53:12 GMT
Ayla Villa says:
Agreed! I now need to find a seller of old version. But whats the point if in the future I will not be able to upgrade to newer imac because they don't have dvd player. I don't want to buy a separate DVD player to clutter my desk! It's supposed to be an 'all in one'.

I dont give a crap if watching DVDs (which I already own and don't have to download or pay for again online) is considered old school. DVD rewriters is still very much what you expect when you buy a new computer.

As the chap above says, who cares if its 5mm thick on the edge! Its not a portable device! Its meant to be PRACTICAL.

Arrogant designers gone mad!

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 11:11:30 GMT
Reubs says:
Minor for me personally.

I've had a Macbook pro for over a year and only used the CD drive about twice.

CD's will be obsolete in a few years anyway and I would much rather have a machine that takes up less space.

Plus the key thing is you can buy a perfectly good external CD drive for about 20 if you really need use of one.

Personally I think these new macs are amazing and the fact it is so thin by removing the mainly useless CD drive make it all the more appealing to me.

Surprised at such a negative review as surely you knew it didnt have a CD drive before purchasing? Seems strange to base the whole review around something which would have been known before purchase.

Plus people saying about Ram, 8GB is plenty for any machine so not a massive amount to moan about either.

I'll still be looking to buy one of these myself.

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 20:58:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2013 20:59:30 GMT
Andy says:
WOW, I am, or was, saving up to buy one of these, I am not now. What the FFS are apple playing at. I do a lot of graphic design & illustration work and I can tell you a DVD/CD drive is essential. Glad I read some reviews first before blowing my hard earned money on one of these. I for one will now be sourcing an older model, which in itself doesn't bother me, but really what a crazy situation!!! Apple really have dropped a clanger here, definitely a case of form (and corporate greed) over function. You know you've made a big mistake when your customers are resorting to buying an older machine over a newer model replacing it, although I doubt apple would ever admit to it!

Posted on 24 Feb 2013 20:07:07 GMT
Soton1990 says:
I totally agree with you Oli and you're not the only one who thinks that. I was actually considering buying a new mac, but the lack of an optical drive was a deal breaker for me. Apple have really shot themselves in the foot and they must be losing sales on their new macs with this kind of attitude. I'm a big fan of apple, but I don't want to be forced to buy software, music and movies from the App Store and iTunes. I want to still be able to play my CDs and DVDs and a Blu-ray player would be nice! I agree with the other comments, Apple have seriously lost their way since the passing of Steve Jobs.

Posted on 15 Mar 2013 19:34:49 GMT
Alexander says:
I see lots of people saying they want the older version of the iMac because of the DVD drive.
What they might like to consider is that the old design iMac has a serious design fault.
It has a 2mm gap around the screen, which sooner or later allows dust etc to get inside the glass behind the screen, which causes a dirty looking stain.
I've just received a new model iMac as a replacement for my old one because of this.
It was sent for screen repair three times, each time the screen again started to show a kind of stain in the top left corner.
I advise anyone who has the older model to check the top left corner of the screen for any markings. Look carefully.
The top left hand corner is also the place it gets the hottest due to the internal components, according the Apple care people, which added to the problem.
The new model may not have a DVD drive, but one is easily attached, and hopefully the screen won't develop any faults because the 2mm gap has been eliminated.

Posted on 25 May 2013 19:22:51 BDT
M. Fmorris says:
After the death of Jobs. Everything went to crap....

Posted on 6 Sep 2013 01:14:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Sep 2013 01:38:22 BDT
Just buy the SuperDrive which is relatively inexpensive. If you're not happy with the beautifully thin iMac. It's not rocket science. Duh! Maybe that was a bit harsh. See my next post

Posted on 6 Sep 2013 01:36:40 BDT
Ram is more than enough for the average iMac buyer and as apple ram is so frugal in any case it will still kick the ass of any windows p.c. As for the speakers, every iMac user I know uses externals anyway. However I do agree with you on the issues of FireWire and the inconvenient slots. And I take your point that an all in one (the main USP of iMacs) should be exactly what it is supposed to be. All in one. I don't see Steve's successor lasting the duration if he goes down this road. When loyal customers start walking it may be the wake up call apple needs as arrogance and massaging of egos has seemed to have crept in the back door.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›