5.0 out of 5 stars iphone 4 owner, 27 July 2010
This review is from: TomTom Car Kit for iPhone (Compatible with iPhone 3G & 3GS) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I asked Tom-Tom if this unit was compatible with the iphone 4. I was told, sadly it was not.

Problem was, I needed one to charge and make full use of the iphone Tom-Tom app I had bought. Then by chance I saw a couple of YouTube video clips where people had added a simple piece of Velcro to make it work. So I bought the kit and did the same.

I was really happy with the result and it works perfectly.
The kit is easy to use and really enhances the Tom-Tom app. Much clearer voice instructions and positioning within the car. The blue tooth easy to setup allows hands free calls. The voice control calling worked but only tried it once and was a bad line, so can't comment on the quality.
All in all very pleased with the kit, its simple, functional and compact.

Its possible that a new iphone 4 car kit will be released soon and will be better. But there was no expected release dates and so i decided this was the best alternative.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Oct 2011 16:45:10 BDT
Thanks for the handy info re iPhone4 and the Velcro solution.

I see your review is dated July 2010. I had been considering buying this mount since about October 2010 and am still undecided as it seems very expensive compared to my free solution which involves wedging my iPhone4 between windscreen and dashboard and works a treat, mostly. But the leather case I have for it helps considerably in this regard. [Made by 'Proporta' - a case of nominative determinism if there ever was one. Comes with free high pun-ability too. :) And nope, I don't own shares....]

I am still undecided because it seems there has been no new version of the mount since I first looked - the thing looks just the same as it always has (but is it? - dunno). However, on a quick visit to the Tomtom website today (21/10/2011) I now see that they say that it has 'compatibility' with the iPhone4. I didn't notice that before. Hmmm.

Here's a direct quote from the Tomtom site (specification tab):
"Compatibility iPhone iPhone; iPhone 3G; iPhone 3GS; iPhone 4; Require iPhone OS 3.0 or later"
(Link: www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/mobile-navigation/tomtom-car-kit-for-iPhone/#tab:specifications)

Maybe it depends on what they mean by 'compatibilty'. I'm 'compatible' with travelling at 500mph, but I find I need a plane ticket every time I attempt it. So maybe I'll still need that Velcro too?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2011 08:04:38 GMT
Hi where have you inserted the velcro please

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2011 18:15:26 GMT
clay peimer says:
Where do you put the Velcro?
Thanks...
Clay Peimer

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2011 18:18:53 GMT
clay peimer says:
Did you ever find out where to put the Velcro??
‹ Previous 1 Next ›