3.0 out of 5 stars More photos please, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Great British Bake Off: How to turn everyday bakes into showstoppers (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up in a bookstore and flicked through it. The recipes looked brilliant, many of which I couldn't wait to try out - always a good sign when buying a cookery book I feel.

However, on buying the book and sitting down to read it I have discovered that there are many,many recipes which do not have photographs of the finished article. As a home baker I always find it better the see what the end product should look like as it makes interpretation of the method sooo much easier. The annoying thing is that there are photographs of the contestants (from the next series I presume as I don't recognise any of them) and Mary & Paul and photos of kitchen equipment and a chair with a cushion on it!!! I don't need pictures of all that - I know what Mary & Paul and cushions look like!!!! Some recipes have extra tips at the end of the recipe which take up quite a lot of the page - space that could have been used for pictures.

Having said all that I can't wait to try some of the recipes as they are so different from all my other baking books. Just don't expect to find pictures of ALL the recipes in the book.

A quick update to say I have tried 2 recipes from this book now, the salted caramel layer cake and the chocolate and praline traybake. The layer cake received great reviews although mine was a much deeper cake than in the photograph. The recipe was easy enough to follow but quite laborious so maybe not an everyday bake. The traybake, although nice enough, didn't blow my socks off - I think I would prefer a brownie mix. Both recipes were quite time consuming but I suppose the title of this book is 'Showstoppers' so I should have expected that really. This hasn't put me off trying more recipes though, I've already got a few more recipes earmarked to try.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Aug 2012 19:25:50 BDT
roadrunner says:
Incidentally, the review says I have the Kindle edition. This isn't true I bought the hardback version from the supermarket so don't think that the lack of photos is down to the kindle edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 12:17:08 BDT
J Laydon says:
I totally agree about the picutures. Many of the recipes sound wonderful but no piture of finished product which is disappointing and puts me off trying them.

I am more interested in the look of the recipes than having picutes of storage containers etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 13:55:48 BDT
K. Russell says:
I'm thinking of buying this book and wondered if you've tried any more recipes or altered your view in any way? Would you still recommend it - even without all the photos?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2012 16:58:16 BDT
roadrunner says:
I've not had time to try any more recipes yet (I'm a cupcake baker so mainly bake those). Having a photo is useful so you know what you're aiming for and how it should look when you've finished but this didn't put me off trying the recipe for the traybake. If you have a basic baking knowledge then I wouldn't let the lack of pictures put you off. It's just nice to know that your finished result is how it is supposed to look. There is a chapter at the end entitled 'Basics' which covers how to make various sauces, icings and decorations but on the whole I feel the recipes are better suited to someone with a little experience. As a lot of these recipes are 'showstoppers' the ingredients may not be particularly cheap so if you make a mistake and end up with a disaster then it can be quite expensive. I'm sure I will bake more from this book but it certainly won't be my most used book from my collection.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012 09:10:57 BDT
K. Russell says:
Thanks for that roadrunner. I like to think of myself as a fairly experienced baker, and I love the previous book, so I think I'll give it a go. I also like to see the photographs, not just for guidance, but to hold it up against my produce and say, 'This is what it was supposed to look like!'
‹ Previous 1 Next ›