ARRAY(0xae8c6954)

5.0 out of 5 stars Series 5 - Out with a Big Bang, 28 Jun 2010
This review is from: Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Three wonderful episodes on this volume so if you don't plan on getting the full series, I would at least recommend this one and the Time of Angels two-parter. Amy's Choice was a myterious episode and had bit of the classic who feel about it. Toby Jones was some inspired casting for the character of the Dreamlord and played it quite well.

The Hungry Earth seemed a bit filler-ish for the conclusion, "Cold Blood." But nevertheess, it's worth watching as it reintroduced a new tribe of Silurians - although personally, I preferred the others. More alien-like, you see.

Cold Blood contains a balance of action and diplomacy. On the one hand, the Silurian military prepare to take over the Earth, on the other, Amy helps in negotiating peace between the two owners of the planet. But with a cry of "EXECUTE HER!" it swings into gear as the Eleventh Dctor gleefully announces that it's squeeky bum time. But I wasn't prepared for what was to come and change the course of the series...

....

The following review contains SPOILERS for the Doctor Who Series 5 finale and should be viewed with caution. You have been warned....

....

.....

.......

..........

Alas, "The Big Bang" has aired and Series 5 has come to a close. In retrospect, I have really, really enjoyed this series. Full of Doctor quirks fabulously pulled off by Matt Smith. Anyone still not rating him against previous doctors needs to ride off on their high horse and stick with repeats.

"It's a fez... I wear a fez now... fezzes are cool."

One of the great features of this series for me, was, the ending. For the first time in New Who history - we got a happy ending. No deaths, no sadness, no loss. Two companions and the same Doctor heading off into the new series on a new adventure. It put a smile on my face and that smile is still there. I only wish they kept the fez. Never gonna do it without fez on....! I'd be singing it if I could.

"You'll dream about that box..."

Matt Smith was, as ever, wonderful. Playing The Doctor really suits him and so long as the character writing level remains high, I'm happy for him to stay on for quite some time. In the meantime, put your arms in the air and wave your head about in between!

"Something old... something new... something borrowed..... something blue."

I don't think the scripts and directing have been that generous to Karen Gillan this series. A bit too much shouting for my liking. But when she gets the chance she pulls it off. There was certainly a lump in my throat as she learnt of the lone centurian watching over her for almost 2000 years.

"Say it again. One... more... time."

Alex Kingston / River Song. I love this character and this actress. Such a unique character with such mystery as we progress backwards through her timeline. I'm very much looking forward to learning a lot more about her next series (we were promised by The Moff!) but at the same time, I hope some questions are left unanswered. For example... The Doctor's name! Her stand out scene for me this series was definately confronting the lone Dalek as it cried for mercy after looking her up. She's definately hiding something, but she has a good alibi - Spoilers!

"Hang on kid. This is where it gets complicated."

The prize for the scene that made me almost fall off my seat this series goes to (you were warned of spoilers) little Amelia opening the Pandorica to reveal big Amelia... Amy. Some genius writing by Steven Moffat as we find out what happened between Amy being shot and her taking The Doctor's place in the ultimate prison... albeit confused as to why the sonic screwdriver could open so many deadlocks so easily... and quite suddenly. Regardless, Moffat even threw in some harmless time travel humor. After all, this is a show about Time... don't forget that!

"Don't worry your majesty.... we're on our way."

Extra special mention to Arthur Darvill as Rory Williams giving an excellent performance this week and providing a lot of the emotional value this series. I'm thrilled that he appears to have joined the TARDIS crew permanently as he heads off with both The Doctor and Amy (in full wedding attire!) to investigate an egyptian goddess on the loose on the Orient Express..... in space.

So it is with great sadness that I bid farewell to Doctor Who and hope that Christmas can get here that much sooner. GERONIMO!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jul 2010 14:32:26 BDT
Peter says:
It was bloody awful, and if you think the writing is genius you are retarded

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2010 23:43:44 BDT
C. Disley says:
Blasting other peoples opinions and very being is useless. Your comment is duely noted and ignored.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2010 01:03:12 BDT
R. Madican says:
It was awful though. I agree with Mr Pratt

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2010 07:16:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jul 2010 11:04:52 BDT
C. Disley says:
In your opinion. Allow me to backup some points with facts. (this is also for the cirulating nonsense about viewing figures and ratings being terrible)

Not taking into account the final two episodes of the season (which had high appreciation values), the remaining eleven episodes gained a nice and tidy 86.2% AI (how much an audience enjoyed the episodes). Lets do the usual comparison with David Tennant last full series, shall we. That gained an average AI of 88.1. Not much difference there.

If, once more, we take out the final two episodes, the series' average ratings for Tennant's/Davies' final series came to 7.7 million. If we do the same for series 5, 7.8 million. A small increase, but an increase nonetheless. On top of that, using the same figures, Series 5 ranks as the second most successful series since 2005. Not my opinion, but just plain facts.

So please, to you people spouting sillyness... your opinion is a respected opinion, but your respected opinion does not count as fact.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2010 14:25:02 BDT
Mr.Disley, you are playing number games. The season finale - 'The Big Bang' - was watched only by 6.l million, less than half of the 13 million who tuned into 'Journey's End' two years ago. The fact is that the show's audience is dwindling, and it is due mainly to Moffat and Smith. Eccleston and Tennant did not copy their predecessors, whereas Smith has based his entire performance on Troughton's. If I want to watch Troughton I will slip on a D.V.D. of 'The Invasion' or 'The War Games', not watch Smith. Karen Gillan has made no impact whatever. The stories this year were frankly dreadful. Quoting A.I. statistics is meaningless. The B.B.C. does not commission programmes based on these. The future looks grim for 'Dr.Who' right now.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jul 2010 16:35:35 BDT
C. Disley says:
Considering the amount of real life events that occured... I'm sure the future is stable.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2010 22:02:39 BDT
Lhara says:
In back up (and possibly as evidence of what you have said), I was never much of a fan of Doctor Who until this series. I really enjoyed it, loved Matt Smith as the Doctor, loved Karen as Amy and loved the storylines. Some episodes were a bit weak for me, but I found that with the Tennant ones, and Tennant wasn't half as enthralling as Matt is.

Thank you for your insightful review, I just wanted to see that unlike other people, I throughly enjoyed this series (it may have lost fans, but it's made new ones. And no one I know has a bad thing to say about it!)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2010 08:27:16 BDT
In my opinion the finale was actually very cleverly entwined with pervious episodes - all those who complained about a certain continuity error in the time of angels/flesh

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2010 08:28:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jul 2010 08:30:04 BDT
Fergus Fingall - Where exactly did you get these figures for the "audience is dwindling" as all the viewing figures that i have seen published seem to indicate that the audience has actually increased.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (29 customer reviews)

15.99 2.69